Blondie Plays Cupid (1940) starring Penny Singleton, Arthur Lake
In Blondie Plays Cupid, the Bumsteads are off to visit relatives in the country when Blondie runs into Charlie and Millie, an eloping couple needing her help.
- Baby Dumpling driving the car!
- Blondie “persuades” Dagwood to help the young couple elope
- Daisy climbing a ladder when she hears Dagwood whistling …. Only to realize that she can’t get back down.
- Baby Dumpling goes to get Daisy …. And he takes a detour into a dynamite shack! And takes a “sample” stick!
- Baby Dumpling’s fall from the roof is broken …. by poor Dagwood!
- Baby Dumpling’s holding a stick of dynamite — and asks Dagwood for a match! He wisely says no, but Blondie insists! Not knowing what he wants it for, but trying to make up for being overprotective.
- Blondie throws the lit stick of dynamite away …. And it falls into the hole, and creates an oil gusher!
- Dagwood lights a match to see what the “sticky stuff” they’re covered with …. And it explodes! The next scene shows them recovering in the hospital, as Mr. Dithers reads to them the newspaper account of their accident.
- Penny Singleton (Blondie’s Hero) … Blondie
- Arthur Lake (Blondie’s Big Moment) … Dagwood
- Larry Simms (Blondie in Society) … Baby Dumpling
- Daisy (Blondie Meets the Boss) … Daisy
- Jonathan Hale (Life with Blondie) … J.C. Dithers
- Danny Mummert (Beware of Blondie) … Alvin Fuddle
- Irving Bacon (A Girl a Guy and a Gob) … Mailman
- Glenn Ford (Gilda, Framed) … Charlie. Yes, that Glenn Ford! As Charlie, who wants to elope with Millie. Against Uncle Abner’s wishes.
- Luana Walters (The Corpse Vanishes) … Millie
- Will Wright (The 30 Foot Bride of Candy Rock) … Tucker
- Spencer Charters (High Sierra, Alibi Ike) … Uncle Abner
- Leona Roberts (Having Wonderful Time, Gone with the Wind) … Aunt Hannah
- Stanley Brown (Blondie’s Blessed Event) … Ollie Shaw
- Mary Jane Carey (Blondie Meets the Boss) … Mary – the Secretary
- Character actor Charles Lane has an uncredited appearance as the train conductor
- The seventh of twenty-eight Blondie movies.
- The only of the Blondie movies that bills Larry Simms as Dagwood Bumstead Jr.