The Manhunt – The Andy Griffith Show season 1, Original airdate: October 10, 1960
The state police notify Barney about an escaped prisoner heading toward Mayberry. They plan to use the courthouse as their headquarters for the big manhunt. Captain Barker and his men arrive, and make their plans. Which don’t include Andy or Barney, and leave to set up their roadblocks.
Sheriff Andy Taylor : You’re guarding all the main roads.
Captain Barker : [coldly] Something wrong with that?
Sheriff Andy Taylor : Well, no, not if you expecting that criminal to come through here on the bus, but you got to give some thought to the idea that he might get sneaky about that thing, come down one of the side roads.
Not willing to be left out, the two spring into action. Soon, Barney is caught off guard by the criminal, who takes his gun and ties him up.
Deputy Barney Fife : He got the drop on me.
Sheriff Andy Taylor : You mean he had a gun?
Deputy Barney Fife : Ugh… well… he has NOW.
Stung by Barker’s words after reporting the turn of events, Andy comes up with a plan to capture the escapee, earn the respect of the state police, and regain the townsfolk’s confidence.
Cast of characters
- Andy Griffith (A Face in the Crowd, Matlock) … Andy Taylor
- Ron Howard (The Music Man) … Opie Taylor (as Ronny Howard)
- Don Knotts (The Incredible Mr. Limpet) … Barney Fife
- Frances Bavier (The Stooge, The Day the Earth Stood Still) … Aunt Bee Taylor
- Ken Lynch (North by Northwest) … Capt. Barker
- Cheerio Meredith … Emma Brand. The wanted criminal visits her home. With his gun drawn …
- Mike Steen (Crack in the World) … The Sergeant
- Frank Gerstle (Killers from Space) … Derekson. The criminal on the run. He “visits” Emma.
- Hal Smith (Adventures in Odessy, The Great Race) … Otis Campbell
- Norman Leavitt (Off Limits) … Cal
- Burt Mustin (The Strongest Man in the World) … Jud Fletcher
- William Challee … Townsman
- This is the first episode of many in which Deputy Fife accidentally discharges his duty revolver, causing Andy to confiscate Barney’s bullets.
- First appearance of actor Hal Smith as Otis the town drunk.