Fog Island (1945) starring George Zucco, Lionel Atwill, Jerome Cowan
Fog Island – a man wrongly sent to prison plans a trap the people who framed him, and find out which were guilty. Very dangerous people …
Fog Island is a take on Ten Little Indians. A man, wrongly sent to prison, seeks revenge on the people who framed him and sent him there. He invites them to his home — the Fog Island of the title. He organizes a treasure hunt of sorts, and gives each a clue, to find his “treasure”. And if they find it, they can keep it. But there’s at least one booby trap…
In addition, his lovely stepdaughter is there — against his wishes. He’s not mean nor harsh, but he knows what’s going to happen, and wants her to have no part in it. In addition, one of the people he’s invited has died. But his son accepts the invitation in his place. The son had a romantic relationship with the man’s daughter, leading to some romantic conflict between them.
Despite being a Poverty Row (PRC) production, it’s fast paced and enjoyable, with all of the actors doing a good job.
George Zucco and Lionel Atwill star in this story of deceit and revenge. Leo Granger (Zucco) is wrongfully imprisoned for embezzlement. He suspects his colleagues framed him and upon his release he invites them to a secluded island where he has set up an elaborate treasure hunt in order to expose and destroy the betrayers. In their pursuit of the treasure they uncover perilous traps and countless dangers. Genre veterans George Zucco and Lionel Atwill play an intriguing game of cat-and-mouse in this classic PRC thriller.
Cast of characters
- George Zucco (The Mad Ghoul, The Mummy’s Ghost ) … Leo Grainger. He was falsely sent to prison, by one of the people he’s invited to his party. He also blames them for the death of his beloved wife.
- Lionel Atwill (The Vampire Bat, The Hound of the Baskervilles 1939) … Alec Ritchfield. One of Grainger’s former associates, and deadly with a knife.
- Jerome Cowan (Blondie’s Big Deal, Miracle on 34th Street) … John Kavanaugh. One of thee associates. he’s not bloodthirsty, but he’s not innocent, either.
- Veda Ann Borg (Mildred Pierce, Mother Wore Tights) … Sylvia Jordan. Grainger’s step daughter.
- Sharon Douglas (A Gentleman After Dark) … Gail. Formerly Grainger’s personal secretary.
- John Whitney … Jeff Kingsley. The son of one of the invitees. He knows Sylvia from college.
- Jacqueline deWit (Little Giant) … Emiline Bronson. The “psychic”. She’s clearly a fraud, and later on gets her just desserts from one of her fellows.
- Ian Keith (The Ten Commandments) … Dr. Lake. Clearly not a real doctor. He knocks Allerton off the railing into the water, presumably killing him.
- George Lloyd (Blondie’s Big Deal) … Allerton – Butler. An escaped convict, who wants to help Grainger