Never A Dull Moment (1968), starring Dick Van Dyke, Edward G. Robinson, Dorothy Provine
Product description for Never a Dull Moment
There’s magic in the memories as great Disney moments are captured right here for you and your family to enjoy. Welcome to the world of Jack Albany — New Yorker, struggling actor — and art thief? He isn’t really, but when a mobster kingpin with his eye on a priceless painting mistakes Albany for a famous West Coast gangster, Jack’s earnest attempts to set the record straight only escalate his involvement in a daring museum robbery. Dick Van Dyke, Edward G. Robinson, and Dorothy Provine head a cast of crooks, molls, heroes, and half-wits in this fast-paced, laugh-packed comedy thriller!
Editorial review of Never a Dull Moment courtesy of Amazon.com
Whodunnit? That’s the question Jack Albany hopes to expose in Disney’s 1968 madcap comedy Never a Dull Moment, starring Dick Van Dyke. Albany, a struggling actor in New York, is mistaken for infamous West Coast gangster Ace Williams and whisked to the mansion of mob boss Leo Smooth to be hired as lead mobster in an art museum robbery. Joining the company of a motley group of operators, Albany realizes that his only chances for survival depend on performing the acting job of his life: impersonating a dangerous killer.
Things get dicey when the real Ace Williams shows up, since one of this pair of aces is about to be discarded as a joker. Albany’s only hope for escape is to convince an innocent art teacher (Dorothy Provine) to become his ally. Combining Van Dyke’s physical comedy with a stellar supporting cast (Henry Silva, Slim Pickens, and Jack Elam) make this lesser-known Disney film a delightful family jaunt. (Ages 8 and older) –Lynn Gibson
- Dick Van Dyke (The Dick Van Dyke Show) … Jack Albany. The actor, famous for playing gangsters on TV. But, then he’s mistaken for a real gangster!
- Edward G. Robinson (A Slight Case of Murder) … Leo Joseph Smooth.
- Dorothy Provine (The Great Race) … Sally Inwood
- Henry Silva (Cinderfella) … Frank Boley
- Joanna Moore (Monster on the Campus) … Melanie Smooth
- Tony Bill (Marriage on the Rocks) … Florian
- Slim Pickens (Dr. Strangelove) … Cowboy Schaeffer
- Jack Elam (Kansas City Confidential) … Ace Williams
- Ned Glass (Come to the Stable) … Rinzy Tobreski
- Richard Bakalyan (Panic in the Year Zero) … Bobby Macoon
- Mickey Shaughnessy (Pocketful of Miracles) … Francis
- Philip Coolidge (The Tingler) … Fingers Felton
- James Millhollin (No Time for Sergeants) … Museum Director
Trivia for Never a Dull Moment
- Eleanor Audley, who plays a matron in the film, provided the voice for Maleficent in Sleeping Beauty and Lady Tremain in Cinderella.
Updated December 25, 2021. Merry Christmas!