No Time for Sergeants (1958) starring Andy Griffith
Technically, No Time for Sergeants is Don Knotts first movie. However, his time on-screen is very brief. He plays a neurotic Army officer who gives Andy Griffith’s character, Will Stockdale, one of his tests. As a consolation, however, No Time for Sergeants is a hilariously funny movie. The basic plot has Will Stockdale being drafted into the Army. Attempts by other recruits to harass the country boy fail miserably. Due to Will’s easy-going nature, lack of apprehension of some of the insults, and his incredible good luck.
After being drafted into the Army’s Air Force, he becomes friends with Ben. Ben’s sole desire is to serve in the Infantry instead. Will soon becomes the foil for Irving, and for his barracks sergeant, who’s simply trying to serve out his time quietly … But due to Will’s unintentional interference, he’s soon in danger of losing his rank. Unless country bumpkin Will passes all of his tests in only 1 week.
It’s a truly laugh-out-loud comedy. Will makes Army life unexpectedly difficult for his friend, his sergeant, and soon his commanding officers as well. The ending is quite hilarious. Will, Ben, and the suffering Sergeant King are all transferred to the Infantry …. As two commanding officers stand helplessly by. It’s a wonderful build-up to a moment pointing out some of the craziness of life in the military. No Time for Sergeants is a good clean comedy, and very highly recommended.
Cast of characters
- Andy Griffith (The Andy Griffith Show, A Face in the Crowd) … Pvt. Will Stockdale
- Myron McCormick (The Hustler) … Sgt. Orville C. King
- Nick Adams (Die Monster Die, Invasion of Astro-Monster) … Pvt. Ben Whitledge
- Murray Hamilton (Anatomy of a Murder) … Irving S. Blanchard
- Howard Smith … Maj. Gen. Eugene Bush
- Will Hutchins … Lt. George Bridges
- Sydney Smith … Maj. Gen. Vernon Pollard
- James Millhollin (The Ghost and Mr Chicken) … Maj. Royal B. Demming (psychiatrist)
- Don Knotts (The Incredible Mr. Limpet) … Cpl. John C. Brown
- Jean Willes (Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1956) … WAF Captain
- Bartlett Robinson (The Fortune Cookie) … Captain
- Henry McCann (The Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow) … Lt. Cover
- Dub Taylor (Bonnie and Clyde) … McKinney
- William Fawcett (Batman and Robin 1949) … Pa Stockdale
- Raymond Bailey (The Beverly Hillbillies, Tarantula) … Base Colonel
Product Description of No Time for Sergeants
Georgia farm boy Will Stockdale is about to bust with pride. He’s been drafted. Will’s ready. But is Uncle Sam ready for Will? In No Time for Sergeants, Andy Griffith is certifiably funny in the role that clinched his stardom. Wearing a friendly, wide grin, he ambles into the U.S. Air Force — and lots of folks’ll never be the same. They include pint-sized Ben (Nick Adams), big-city bruiser Irvin (Murray Hamilton) and a jittery aptitude tester (Don Knotts). Finally, there’s Sgt. Orville King (Myron McCormick), a don’t-rock-the-boat old-timer driven crazy by Will’s gee-whiz efforts at friendship. Griffith, McCormick and Knotts reprise their winning performances from No Time for Sergeants’ smash Broadway run. Breezily directed by the veteran Mervyn LeRoy (Mister Roberts), it’s definitely time for entertainment!