The Penguin Goes Straight / Not Yet, He Ain’t – Batman season 1
The Penguin Goes Straight – March 22 1966
After his recent release from jail, The Penguin has started his own protection agency. He thwarts small time hoodlums everywhere he goes. Is it all a con? Do you really need to ask?
Batman: [reading from a card] The Penguin Protective Agency, incorporated.
Robin: Holy leopard. What a change of spots.
- The episode cliffhanger, with Batman and Robin hung behind a fairground shooting gallery, was taken from the 1943 film The Spider Woman
- Another example of using a plot straight from the comic book. Batman and Robin try to prevent the Penguin from stealing some priceless jewels. But, he frames them for the theft. The Penguin used this very trick (with a jade idol) back in Detective Comics #58 (1941), his first appearance.
- Alfred claims to be from the insurance company Floyd’s of Dublin. This is a reference to Lloyd’s of London.
- The establishing shot shows the Booth Theatre located in Manhattan. It was named after the 19th Century Shakespearean actor Edwin Booth, the elder brother of John Wilkes Booth.
Not Yet, He Ain’t – March 23 1966
Allready wanted for a robbery they didn’t commit, Batman and Robin fake their own deaths with a little help from Commissioner Gordon and Chief O’Hara. The allow the fowl felon to steal the Batmobile …. In order to track him with it. It also gave them an opportunity to use the Batcycle, with robin in the sidecar. Have to sell those toys, after all.
Eagle Eye: I see ghosts… on a Batcycle!
Robin: Ghosts, huh? I don’t think you crooks have the right spirit!
Chief O’Hara: You greedy bird! Have you no conscience?
Commissioner Gordon: Great Scot, Penguin, this woman loves you, she’s still willing to marry you.
The Penguin: Who, me? The Penguin married and kept in a bathtub?
Sophia Starr: I do love you, Pengy, I’d try so hard to reform you.
The Penguin: Great quivering icebergs! Take me to prison! [waddles out]
Cast of characters
- Adam West (The Outlaws is Coming) … Batman
- Burt Ward (Batman the Movie) … Robin
- Alan Napier (The Mole People, House of Horrors) … Alfred
- Neil Hamilton (Tarzan the Ape Man, What Price Hollywood) … Commissioner Gordon
- Stafford Repp … Chief O’Hara
- Madge Blake … Mrs. Cooper
- Burgess Meredith (Clash of the Titans, Advise and Consent) … The Penguin
- Kathleen Crowley (Curse of the Undead, Target Earth) … Sophia Starr
- Harvey Lembeck (Stalag 17, Pajama Party) … Eagle-Eye
- Al Checco … Dove
- Hope Sansberry … Mrs. Van Climber
- Ed McCready … Crook
- Douglas Bank … Lt. Copple
- William Beckley (Planet of the Apes) … Reggie Rich