Episode guide for the first season of the Justice League cartoon series
Justice League season 1 episode guide
- Secret Origins originally aired November 17, 2001
- Alien invaders who were accidentally awakened on Mars begin to take over the Earth. Superman and Batman rescue a captured Green Martian, J’onn J’onnz the Martian Manhunter, who telepathically recruits Wonder Woman, Hawkgirl, the Flash, and Green Lantern to defeat the invasion. Afterward, Superman gathers them all at the newly-built Watchtower funded by Batman (through Wayne Aerospace’s R&D budget) and asked to be part of an ongoing team, which he dubbed the Justice League. A three-part episode.
- In Darkest Night originally aired November 19, 2001, November 26, 2001
Green Lantern is arrested by the robotic Manhunters and forced to stand trial for the destruction of an entire planet — and John Stewart thinks himself guilty. While Flash serves as his defense attorney, the rest of the Justice League investigates the space pirate Kanjar Ro — one of the witnesses, who may be involved with framing John.
- The Enemy Below
- The Justice League meets Aquaman, as stresses nearly lead to war between Atlantis and the surface world. The assassin Deadshot nearly assassinates Aquaman in Metropolis … but what does Aquaman’s half-brother Orm have to do with it?
- Injustice for All
- A personal favorite — Lex Luthor has been exposed to the world as a criminal, sentenced to prison, and in the final indignity is dying from Kryptonite poisoning. In order to get revenge on Superman before his death, Luthor convenes a counter to the Justice League — the Inustice Society, with the enemies of the various Justice League members (Lex Luthor, the Ultra-Humanite, Cheetah, the Shade, Solomon Grundy, Copperhead, Star Sapphire … and the Joker invites himself) — and they even manage to capture the Batman … which is their first mistake!
- Paradise Lost
- The evil magician Felix Faust has turned all of the inhabitants of Paradise Island to stone, and he blackmails Wonder Woman (and the rest of the Justice League) to retrieve three deadly magical items … but even if the Justice League wins, Wonder Woman loses.
- War World
- Superman and J’onn J’onnz the Martian Manhunter are kidnapped by the alien warlord Mongol, and forced to participate in gladiatorial games on his War World. Green Lantern and Hawkgirl to the rescue!
- The Brave and the Bold
- Flash and Green Lantern uncover a plot by Gorilla Grodd, a super-intelligent talking (and psychic) gorilla from Gorilla City — who plots to take over Central City (and then the world).
- A rogue Amazon plans to kill the men of the world with a deadly virus … unless Hawkgirl and Wonder Woman can stop her.
- A wonderful episode; an homage to the comics of the 1940’s, where the Justice League accidentally get transported to an alternate dimension guarded by the Justice Guild of America (based on the Justice Society of America, precursor to the League) … but all is not what it appears to be!
- A Knight of Shadows
- Another personal favorite episode, focusing on the Martian Manhunter, comparing him to Jason Blood, who foolishly betrayed Camelot to the forces of Morgan Le Fay hundreds of years ago … only to be betrayed by her, and cursed by Merlin to be bonded with Etrigan (the Demon) until he redeems himself by finally defeating Morgan. And now J’onn J’onnz has to face down his own temptation from Le Fay …
- John Stewart/Green Lantern’s old friend, Rex Mason, is betrayed by his employer (after falling in love with the boss’ daughter) and transformed into the superpowered Metamorpho — and blames Green Lantern for it!
- The Savage Time
- A three-part season finale, where the villainous Vandal Savage has created a portal into the past, sending critical information to his past self, altering the course of history. It’s up to the Justice League to travel back in time and try to set things right. Numerous guest-stars from DC Comics of the time, including Sergeant Rock and Easy Company, the Blackhawks, and Wonder Woman’s associate and love interest, Steve Trevor.