Destination Tokyo (1943) starring Cary Grant, John Garfield
Synopsis of Destination Tokyo
It’s a daring and dangerous underwater adventure with Oscar-winner Cary Grant (The Awful Truth, Suspicion, North by Northwest) as the captain of a U.S. submarine bound for a search and destroy mission in Tokyo harbor during WWII. Co-starring Oscar-nominee John Garfield (Gentleman’s Agreement, The Postman Always Rings Twice). Look for the screen debut of young John Forsythe (TV’s Dynasty and the voice of Charlie on Charlie’s Angels). Nominated for an Academy Award for Best Screenplay.
Editorial review of Destination Tokyo courtesy of Amazon.com
Cast of characters
- Cary Grant (Holiday) … Capt. Cassidy
- John Garfield (Between Two Worlds) … Wolf
- Alan Hale (The Adventures of Mark Twain) … ‘Cookie’ Wainwright
- John Ridgely (Arsenic and Old Lace) … Reserve Officer Raymond
- Dane Clark (God is my Co-Pilot) … Tin Can
- Warner Anderson (Destination Moon) … Andy
- William Prince (Pillow to Post) … Pills
- Robert Hutton (Cinderfella) … Tommy Adams
- Tom Tully (Killer McCoy) … Mike Conners
- Faye Emerson (Hotel Berlin) … Mrs. Cassidy
- Peter Whitney … Dakota
- Warren Douglas (In the Heat of the Night) … Larry
- John Forsythe (Bachelor Father, Dynasty) … Sparks
- John Alvin (Somewhere in Time, The Beast with Five Fingers) … Sound Man
- Bill Kennedy (Adventures of Superman TV series) … Torpedo Gunnery Officer
Reserve Officer Raymond: [Just having come aboard the ‘Copperfin’] Uh… How do I get below, sir? I… I’ve never been aboard a submarine before.
Capt. Cassidy: [Slightly bemused, as he points to the only obvious entry into the submarine] There’s the hatch. It goes ‘down.’
Reserve Officer Raymond: [during a depth charge attack] Captain, I’m no good.
Capt. Cassidy: Why’s that?
Reserve Officer Raymond: I’m scared stiff.
Capt. Cassidy: How do you think the rest of us feel?
Reserve Officer Raymond: You’re not scared. I’ve looked at your faces.
Capt. Cassidy: I’ve looked at yours, too. It’s the same as the others.
Reserve Officer Raymond: You’re scared?
Capt. Cassidy: I’ll say I am. And so is everybody else.
Mike Conners: [Tommy Adams is starting look-out duty] Keep your eyes peeled Kid… we’re nobody’s friend! Even our own ships’ll shoot first and ask questions later!
Tin Can: Congratulations, Wolf.
Wolf: On what?
Tin Can: It’s been an hour since anything reminded you of a dame.
Tommy Adams: You ever want to be a real doctor, Pills?
Pills: Yeah… I was one of those college wise-guys who didn’t know where he was going. Funny place to find out, on submarines.
Tommy Adams: What college did you go to?
Pills: California. Only a year. Then I signed up. I had an “A” in chemistry… so they made me a Pharmacists Mate.