Next Time I Marry (1938) starring Lucille Ball, James Ellison , Lee Bowman, Granville Bates
Synopsis of Next Time I Marry
In Next Time I Marry, an heiress can only obtain a multi million-dollar inheritance by marrying an American citizen. Despite being in love with a handsome foreigner, she ties the knot with the first man she comes across – a ditch digger. On their way to Nevada to get a quickie divorce, the newlyweds realize that they’ve fallen in love.
Cast of characters
- Nancy Crocker Fleming (Lucille Ball, Fancy Pants, I Love Lucy). The young and beautiful socialite who stands to inherit $20 million dollars. If she marries an ordinary working man. Her father’s trying to protect her from gigolos via his will. So, she plans to marry the first working man she sees … And then divorce him, to marry the foreign Count Georgi.
- Count Georgi (Lee Bowman, My Dream is Yours). Yes, he’s clearly a gigolo, only after Nancy’s money. The final minutes of the film make this abundantly clear. A funny character.
- Anthony J. Anthony (James Elison, I Walked with a Zombie). The ditch digger that Nancy picks, and marries. And then the couple is dashing to Reno to get divorced. But as they’re spending time together, they start falling in love with each other.
- H.E. Crocker (Granville Bates, Of Mice and Men). Nancy’s uncle, who is trying to protect her. Towards the end, he has the marriage annulled. But Nancy has fallen in love with Tony, and she has a plan … a sweet, funny plan!
- Tilby (Mantan Moreland, Cabin in the Sky). Georgi’s personal servant — comedy relief as well as a likable character.
Editorial review of The Next Time I Marry courtesy of Amazon.com
The Next Time I Marry stars actress Lucille Ball as an heiress who can only receive her 20 million dollar inheritance by marrying an American citizen. In love with a handsome foreigner, the young heiress marries the first man she comes across–a ditch-digger (James Ellison) whom she intends to divorce immediately after collecting the money. While on their way to Reno for a quickie divorce, however, the bickersome newlyweds realize that they’ve fallen in love despite themselves. The Next Time I Marry was directed by Garson Kanin and originally aired in 1938. Also featured within the film are actors Lee Bowman, Nancy Fleming, Tony Anthony and Mantan Moreland. …Next Time I Marry
Movie quotes from The Next Time I Marry
Anthony Joseph ‘Tony’ Anthony: I guess ham just brings out the poetry in me. In some people poetry brings out the ham.
Count Georgi: [Sees that Nancy is being kidnapped and taken away] We’ve got to do something!
H.E. Crocker: He’s got the legal rights of a husband.
Count Georgi: Well, then it’s not so bad.
Count Georgi: So, now then, have you the traveling food?
Count Georgi: Have you my sleeping bag?
Count Georgi: My canvas tote? My medicine kit? My sunglasses?
Tilby: Yowza. Yowza. Yowza.
Count Georgi: Have you my mosquito net?
Count Georgi: Have you Miss Crocker’s clothes?
Tilby: Yowza. Is you ready to leave now?
Count Georgi: Yowza.