The Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow (1959)
Synopsis of The Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow
The Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow – Hot rods, monsters and rock’n’roll… In this teen-oriented picture, a gang of greasers hole up in a reputedly haunted mansion after getting evicted from their clubhouse.
Review of The Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow
The Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow is a cheesy, enjoyable bit of fluff. For all intents and purposes, it’s a live-action version of the Scooby Doo cartoon. Years before the Scooby Doo cartoon was invented. It deals with incredibly squeaky-clean teenagers, who are all obsessed with drag racing. But they don’t even consider breaking the speed limits.
It’s silly fun, that doesn’t take itself too seriously, and the audience shouldn’t either. I wouldn’t pay good money to watch it, but if you see it on TV, Tubi, or Amazon Prime, enjoy it.
Characters in The Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow
- Lois Cavendish (Jody Fair). The grease monkey – her hair is perfectly coiffed, but she’s got a smudge of grease on her pretty face.
- Wesley Cavendish (Kirby Smith). Lois’ father, who’s concerned that she’s more interested in cars than boys. Until she’s kissed by a boy. And concerned about the daughter’s sleepover. And concerned about not being able to sell Anastasia’s house. It’s a pity that the acting was poor since there was a lot of opportunity for comedy in this role.
- Alice Cavendish (Jeanne Tatum, The Astounding She-Monster). Lois’ mother, who acts as “mother knows best”.
- Tom Hendry (Russ Bender, War of the Colossal Beast, It Conquered the World). Lois’ boyfriend, leader of the dragstrip club.
- Dave (Henry McCann, Hot Rod Gang, No Time for Sergeants). Effectively, Dilton Doyle from the Archie comics. Very good comedy relief, especially in conjunction with his tall girlfriend Rhoda. Dave also creates “Amelia” the intelligent car that solves the “mystery” of the monster in the haunted house.
- Rhoda (Elaine DuPont, Ozzie and Harriet, The Beach Girls and the Monster). Along with Dave, effective comedy relief. Partly due to the contrast in their heights, but also due to her acting.
- Anastasia Abernathy (Dorothy Neumann, The Terror, The Snake Pit). The older woman who owns the “haunted” house. She offers it to the dragstrip club, if they can de-haunt it. Along with her pet parrot, more comedy characters.