Thor: The Dark World – where an ancient evil threatens to destroy the universe, so Thor teams up with Loki, and Jane Foster to try and prevent it.
Thor: The Dark World (2013) starring Chris Helmsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Natalie Portman
Personally, I’m not a big fan of Thor 2: The Dark World. I frankly find it to be one of the weaker of the MCU movies, although it does have its’ good points:
- The audience actually sees the wonderful world of Asgard, in all its CGI splendor. That’s a compliment — it looks good, exciting, and magical.
- The acting is good all around, as are the costuming and sets.
- The “portal jumping” routine is funny, although it probably goes on a little too long.
- There’s no character growth for any of the characters.
- It feels like the various people are walking through the paces. This isn’t a complaint against the actors, who do the best they can with what they’re given.
- A great hero needs a great villain. Malekith simply isn’t, which is a pity, since Christopher Eccleston is a very good actor.
- To no small degree, it feels like the entire point of the movie is simply to introduce The Ether — the next Infinity Stone.
Action adventure sequel which sees Chris Hemsworth reprise his role as the Marvel Comics superhero Thor, based on the mythical Norse God of Thunder. After the events of ‘Marvel Avengers Assemble’ (2012), Earth and the Nine Realms come under attack from the powerful Malekith (Christopher Eccleston) and his age-old army that have existed since even before the creation of the universe. With the enemy proving near impossible to defeat, Thor approaches his adoptive brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston) for help, despite his villainous past. Meanwhile, the hero becomes reacquainted with the woman he loves, astrophysicist Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), and takes her to Asgard in an attempt to protect her from harm. The cast also includes Anthony Hopkins, Stellan Skarsgård, Kat Dennings and Zachary Levi.
Cast of characters
- Chris Hemsworth (Avengers: Age of Ultron) … Thor
- Natalie Portman (Thor) … Jane Foster
- Tom Hiddleston (Thor Ragnarok) … Loki
- Anthony Hopkins (Shadowlands) … Odin
- Christopher Eccleston (Doctor Who) … Malekith
- Jaimie Alexander (Thor: Love and Thunder) … Sif
- Zachary Levi (Shazam!) … Fandral
- Ray Stevenson (Divergent) … Volstagg
- Tadanobu Asano (Thor) … Hogun
- Idris Elba (Pacific Rim) … Heimdall
- Rene Russo (Avengers: Endgame) … Frigga
- Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Suicide Squad) … Algrim / Kurse
- Kat Dennings (WandaVision) … Darcy Lewis
- Stellan Skarsgård (The Avengers) … Erik Selvig
- Alice Krige … Eir
- Clive Russell … Tyr
- Jonathan Howard … Ian Boothby
- Ramone Morgan … John
- Obada Alassadi … Navid
- Imaan Chentouf … Maddie
- Claire Brown … Volstagg’s Wife