King Kong Escapes (1967) starring Mie Hama, Rhodes Reason, Linda Miller, Hideyo Amamoto
King Kong Escapes is, in fact, one of the cheesiest monster movies of all time — with special effects by Rankin-Bass. No, seriously. It’s enjoyable, cheesy fluff that doesn’t take itself very seriously, which is a good thing. The plot is convoluted, but here goes:
Plot synopsis for King Kong Escapes
Despite the various romantic triangles, the evil Doctor is creating a robotic duplicate of Kong to mine the Element X — which fails miserably due to the radiation. So, the mad Dr. literally decides to kidnap the live Kong, use Watson to control him, and ignore the various times that Madame X double-crosses him throughout. And, of course, the anticipated battle between the emancipated Kong and his mechanical duplicate, which is as cheesily enjoyable as the rest of the movie — probably more so.
Trivia for King Kong Escapes
- This film was a live-action tie-in to the animated TV series King Kong (1966), which was also produced by Rankin/Bass Productions, and not a sequel to King Kong vs. Godzilla
- Even though Linda Miller was an American that spoke fluent English, her voice was dubbed by Julie Bennett.
- The way Kong kills Gorosaurus, by splitting his jaws apart, is the same way the original Kong kills the Tyrannosaurus in the original King Kong (1933).
- This was the second and last film by the Toho Studios to use the King Kong character. Their rights to use it again lapsed after this film.
- Rhodes Reason took the lead role even though he “knew the film was lousy”. His incentive was a trip to Japan.
- The film ran in the US in a double bill with the Don Knotts comedy, The Shakiest Gun in the West (1968).
- The voice of Dr. Who is the legendary Paul Frees, the man of a thousand voices, who also voiced Burgermeister Meisterburger in another Rankin/Bass production, Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town.
Editorial review of King Kong Escapes, courtesy of Amazon.com
It’s King Kong to the rescue when a giant robot threatens to destroy Tokyo in the gripping King Kong Escapes! The action begins when the conniving Dr. Who builds a robot Kong in order to retrieve a highly radioactive element for his mysterious benefactor, Madame X. When the robot proves less than reliable, the devious duo scheme to kidnap the real Kong from his remote island home of Mondo. But interfering with their plans are the heroic trio of U.S. Cmdr. Carl Nelson, Lt. Jiro Nomura, and Kong’s current crush, Lt. Susan Miller. It’s up to them to outwit the greedy ape-nappers in this sci-fi adventure that takes Kong to unprecedented heights of excitement.