The Indestructible Man (1956) starring Lon Chaney Jr., Casey Adams, Marian Carr
What would happen if a prisoner on death row, with a chip on his shoulder, was accidentally revived? And accidentally made indestructible as well? It’s The Indestructible Man, and the answer is a roaring rampage of revenge!
- Lon Chaney Jr. (The Wolf Man, Alligator People) … Charles ‘Butcher’ Benton. The “indestructible man” of the title. The antagonist, who’s clearly guilty of the crime he’s sent to death row for. After the scientists’ experiments work better than expected, he’s superhumanly strong, and bullet proof as well. But mute, after the electricity damages his vocal cords. And he goes on a roaring rampage of revenge!
- Max Showalter … Police Lt. Dick Chasen. The protagonist. He’s responsible for Benton’s original arrest. And, after his revival, he’s trying to track him down. And stop him, since Benton’s leaving a trail of corpses.
- Marian Carr … Eva Martin. Benton’s “actress” girlfriend. She claims to not even know that Benton was a criminal until his trial. After rejecting the crooked lawyer’s advances, Eva goes straight and begins dating Chasen. Benton left a letter with her, to be opened in the event of his death. Which Lowe stole.
- Ross Elliott (Monster on the Campus) … Paul Lowe. Benton’s dishonest lawyer, who plans to steal the money from Benton’s last bank robbery. Once Benton’s dead, that is.
- Ken Terrell (Attack of the 50 Foot Woman) … Joe Marcellia. One of the henchmen who conspired with he crooked lawyer to send Benton to prison. And then steal the bank loot as well. Benton murders him.
- Marvin Press … Squeamy Ellis. The other henchmen who betrayed Benton. And gets murdered for it.
- Robert Shayne (The Adventures of Superman, Mrs. Skeffington) … Professor Bradshaw. He’s experimenting to find a cure for cancer. He’s using the bodies of dead inmates as his test subjects. But, it works too well, and not only revives Benton, it makes him indestructible! In gratitude …. Benton kills him.
- Lab Assistant (McHale’s Navy) … Joe Flynn. Bradshaw’s assistant, also murdered by Benton.
Editorial review of The Indestructible Man courtesy of Amazon.com
300,000 VOLTS OF HORROR! Lieutenant Dick Chasen (Casey Adams) narrates – in the serious tone of a “Dragnet” episode – the riveting tale of Charles “Butcher” Benton (Lon Chaney). As he sits on death row, Benton refuses to tell his dishonest lawyer, Lowe, where he hid the $600,000 he stole during a bank robbery. Instead, he sends a map detailing the location of the money to his stripper girlfriend, Eva Martin (Marian Carr). Lowe intercepts the letter and steals the map. “The Butcher” vows revenge on Lowe and all his cronies. After his execution, Benton’s body is taken to the laboratory of Dr. Bradshaw, whose experiments to find the cure for cancer accidentally bring Benton back to life – only now he’s indestructible!