Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)
Synopsis of Terror of Mechagodzilla
In Terror of Mechagodzilla, evil spacemen from the Black Hole (seriously) plot to destroy Tokyo … And then ruuule the world! Aided by the deranged scientist, Dr. Mafune, the aliens have the powerful Titanosaurus, under Mafune’s control. And they also have the rebuilt Mechagodzilla on their side. Leading to a massive smackdown that Godzilla fans will love!
Review of Terror of Mechagodzilla
The bad news is, there are a lot of cliches in Terror of Mechagodzilla. The good news is, the cliches are executed very well. Some examples include:
- The mad scientist (Dr. Mafune). “I’ll show those fools!” And, in actuality, he was right. Both about his theory of living dinosaur (Titanosaurus), and how to control it. But obsession leads down a dark path …
- Evil space aliens want to rule the world! Yup. From the third planet of the black hole (???) they want to colonize Earth. And they’ll use Earth’s natural resources (monsters) to wipe the existing humans out. They’re smug, condescending in their “technological superiority” … And enjoyable to watch finally being beaten.
- Melodrama. Yes, there’s a romantic conflict, between one of the protagonists and Dr. Mafune’s beautiful daughter. His cold, distant daughter … Who the audience feels sorry for by the end of the movie.
Cast of characters
- Katsuhiko Sasaki (Godzilla vs. Megalon) … Akira Ichinose
- Tomoko Ai (Ultraman Leo) … Katsura Mafune
- Akihiko Hirata (Ghidorah The Three-Headed Monster) … Dr. Shinzo Mafune
- Katsumasa Uchida … Jiro Murakoshi, Interpol Agent
- Gorō Mutsumi (Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla) … Mugal, Black Hole Alien leader
- Toru Ibuki (Ebirah, Horror of the Deep) … Tsuda, Black Hole Alien lieutenant
- Kenji Sahara (Rodan) … General Segawa
- Tadao Nakamaru … Chief of Interpol Tagawa