Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974) starring Masaaki Daimon, Kazuya Aoyama, Akihiko Hirata
Aliens intend to take over the planet. Just in case Godzilla tries to interfere, they’ve built a mechanical version of him to put an end to his interference. The Earth humans summon the legendary King Caesar to assist Godzilla in the battle.
What do you get when you cross Godzilla, James Bond, and The Planet of the Apes? You get Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, of course.
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla is an enjoyable, solid entry in the Godzilla franchise. It begins with a Okinowan priestess having a vision of disaster.
When a black mountain appears above the clouds, a huge monster will arise and try to destroy the world; but when the red moon sets and the sun rises in the west, two monsters shall appear to save the people.”
- Animosity between the Azumi tribe & Japan
- Why is Godzilla attacking? (spoiler)
- Why is Anguirus attacking his friend Godzilla?
- Invasion plan of the “aliens from the third planet of the black hole”. They reappear in the sequel, “Terror of Mechagodzilla“.
- The mystery character I think of as “The James Bond of Japan”. Aa very cool, efficient government agent. He’s absolutely indispensable later on.
- King Caesar’s name is alternately spelled Shisa, Seesar. He’s based on the actual “shîsâ” lion-dog guardian statues in Okinawa. Originally from China, they are statues that ward off evil spirits. Another Japanese name for them is “komainu” (lion-dog).
- Injured after his first fight with Mechagodzilla, the real Godzilla retreats to Monster Island. There, he’s healed/rejuvenated with lightning. A new “power”. Rather the opposite of King Kong vs Godzilla.
- In the final fight, out of nowhere Godzilla gains the power of magnetism. Due to the power of the script, I suppose.
- The aliens, upon death, turning into apes is a likely attempt to cash in on the then-popular Planet of the Apes movie series.
Cast of characters
- Masaaki Daimon … Keisuke Shimizu. Archeologist, leading an expedition that discovers a chamber filled with ancient artifacts and a mural bearing an ominous prophecy. He’s also Masahiko’s brother.
- Kazuya Aoyama … Masahiko Shimizu. The young man who discovers a strange metal while spelunking, and takes it to the professor to have it analyzed. And gets caught up in the adventure.
- Reiko Tajima … Saeko Kanagusuku. Archaeologist, part of Keisuke’s expedition. She translates the prophecy and takes a statue resembling Okinawa’s guardian monster King Caesar to study. Causing villains to start tracking her …
- Akihiko Hirata (Ghidorah The Three-Headed Monster) … Professor Hideto Miyajima. Nobel Prize-winning scientist. Equipped with a very special pipe he made. Blackmailed into helping the aliens to save the life of:
- Hiromi Matsushita … Ikuko Miyajima. The Professors daughter.
- Hiroshi Koizumi (Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.) … Professor Wagura
- Masao Imafuku … Tengan Kunigami, the Azumi Royal Family High Priest
- Bellbella Lin … Nami Kunigami, the Azumi Royal Family Princess. The only person whose chant can awaken King Caesar.
- Shin Kishida … Interpol Agent Nanbara. The “James Bond of Japan”. Very intelligent, always thinking three steps ahead.
- Gorô Mutsumi (Terror of Mechagodzilla) … Alien Supreme Leader Kuronuma. Arrogant, superior, dismissive. Very well acted.
- Daigo Kusano … Yanagawa, Alien Agent #1
- Takayasu Torii … Interpol Agent Tamura
- Kenji Sahara (Rodan) … Ship’s Captain
- Isao Zushi … Godzilla
- Ise Mori … Mechagodzlla
- Kinichi Kusumi … Anguirus / King Caesar (as Momoru Kusumi)