Gilda (1946), starring Rita Hayworth, Glenn Ford, George Macready
Synopsis of Gilda
In Gilda, a beguiling femme fatale (Rita Hayworth) gets even with her bitter ex-boyfriend (Glenn Ford) by marrying his boss, a mysterious Buenos Aires casino owner. One of the great film noirs of the Forties.
Gilda: You do hate me, don’t you, Johnny?
Johnny Farrell: I don’t think you have any idea of how much.
Gilda: Hate is a very exciting emotion. Haven’t you noticed? Very exciting. I hate you too, Johnny. I hate you so much I think I’m going to die from it. Darling… [they kiss passionately] I think I’m going to die from it.
Product description of Gilda
The legendary Rita Hayworth sizzles with sensuality and magnetism as she sings “Put the Blame on Mame” and delivers a dazzling performance as the enticing temptress Gilda. In the story of Gilda, Johnny Farrell (Glenn Ford) goes to work for Ballin Mundson (George Macready), the proprietor of an illegal gambling casino in a South American city, and quickly rises to become Mundson’s main man. All is well until Mundson returns from a trip with his new bride Gilda – a woman from Johnny’s past. Mundson, unaware of their previous love affair, assigns Farrell the job of keeping Gilda a faithful wife.Fraught with hatred, Gilda does her best to antagonize, intimidate, and instill jealousy in Farrell- until circumstances allow him to get even.
Cast of characters
- Rita Hayworth (My Gal Sal) … Gilda. Mundson’s new wife. She startles Jerry when he brings her home to Buenos Aires. Apparently, they had a previous relationship that went sour, though Mundson knows nothing about it. Her love for him has turned to hatred. Though it could change again …
- Glenn Ford (Framed) … Johnny Farrell. The American gambler, who makes a big win in Buenos Aires by cheating at craps. He’s rescued by Mundson, and later hired by him. He’s actually happy for the first time in a long time …. Until Mundson’s new wife, Gilda, arrives.
- George Macready (The Great Race) … Ballin Mundson. He runs an illegal casino, very profitably. He’s also involved in a tungsten cartel, financed by German mobsters. He’s been the front man of the organization, but now they want to take control. Which he’s unwilling to give. He fakes his death in an airplane explosion …. But sees Johnny and his wife Gilda profess their love for each other. And he’s a jealous man …
- Joseph Calleia (Five Came Back) … Detective Maurice Obregon. Investigating the Germans, tries to get information about the cartel from Johnny. But he doesn’t know anything.
- Steven Geray (Blondie Knows Best) … Uncle Pio. The bartender, sympathetic to Gilda. He becomes crucial in the conclusion.
- Joe Sawyer (The Petrified Forest) … Casey
- Gerald Mohr (The Angry Red Planet) … Capt. Delgado
- Mark Roberts … Gabe Evans
- Ludwig Donath (Hangmen Also Die) … German Cartel Member
- Donald Douglas (I Love You Again) … Thomas Langford