How to Steal a Million (1966) starring Audrey Hepburn, Peter O’Toole
In How to Steal a Million, an art forger’s daughter needs to steal one of his paintings, before he’s exposed – so she hires what she thinks is an expert burglar …
William Wyler, one of Hollywoods greatest directors, deftly blends comedy, visual shenanigans, suspense and romance in this captivating tongue-in-cheek crime caper starring Audrey Hepburn and Peter O’Toole. The daughter (Hepburn) of a wealthy Frenchman (Hugh Griffith) who creates counterfeit art learns her father is in danger of being exposed as a crook. She decides to steal the familys forged Cellini sculpture from a museum before experts can examine it and enlists a society burglar (OToole) to help her. Eli Wallach and Charles Boyer co-star in this classic Hepburn comedy shot in authentic Paris locations.
Simon Dermott: Why? You tell me why. Why must we break into a heavily guarded museum to steal a precious statue that belongs to you. Why!
Cast of characters
- Audrey Hepburn (My Fair Lady, Sabrina) … Nicole Bonnet. Daughter of the art forger. She’s desperate to steal the forgery from a museum, before an art expert can use new technology to detect its’ true nature.
- Peter O’Toole (Lawrence of Arabia) … Simon Dermott. The man she thinks is a master criminal. But he’s willing to help her out anyway.
- Eli Wallach (The Magnificent Seven) … Davis Leland. An American art collector, not only wooing Nicole, but wants to add many of M. Bonnet’s pieces to his own collection. Specifically the Venus
- Hugh Griffith (Kind Hearts and Coronets, Dr. Phibes Rises Again) … Charles Bonnet. The art forger, who’s in trouble if he’s exposed.
- Charles Boyer (Gaslight, Conquest (1937)) … DeSolnay. Leland’s old friend, who sold him his first painting, to start him on the road to art collecting.
- Fernand Gravey (The Madwoman of Chaillot) … Grammont
- Marcel Dalio (Casablanca) … Senor Paravideo
- Jacques Marin (The Island at the Top of the World) … Chief Guard
- Moustache (Zorro 1975) … Guard
- Roger Tréville (The Giant of Marathon) … Auctioneer
- Edward Malin (A Night to Remember) … Insurance Clerk. Who’s brining an art expert to examine the painting, thus causing the conflict.
- Bert Bertram … Marcel. The Bonnet’s servant.