Walt Disney’s Aladdin (1992), starring Scott Weinger, Linda Larkin, Robin Williams, Jonathan Freeman, Gilbert Gottfried
“A diamond … in the rough“. In short, Walt Disney’s Aladdin can be summarized in that one sentence. It’s the story of a poor young man, Aladdin (Scott Weinger). He’s a street rat, who knows that he can be more. He lives by his wits on the streets. He commits petty larceny to eat. With the help of his only friend, the monkey Abu. But who’s still soft-hearted enough to give away his purloined meal to younger children, even hungrier than he is.
Along the course of the story, he makes several new friends:
- The magic carpet. It’s mute, but given a lot of character due to Disney’s storytelling.
- A Genie from a lamp. Robin Williams as his zany, manic best.
- And finally, his love interest. The beautiful Princess Jasmine, voiced by Linda Larkin. And her best friend — the tiger, Raja.
The villains of the story, however, are nearly as entertaining:
- the scheming Jafar. He’s voiced wonderfully by Jonathan Freeman. He’s arguably one of the best Disney villains ever.
- And, his speaking parrot Iago. He’s voiced by Gilbert Gottfried. Whose annoying delivery was absolutely perfect for this character.
Also, the songs are wonderful, and absolutely memorable. A true delight. For a sample of some of the verbal humor, be sure to read funny movie quotes from Walt Disney’s Aladdin.
Songs performed in Walt Disney’s Aladdin
- Arabian Nights
- One Jump Ahead
- Friend Like Me
- A Whole New World
- Prince Ali
- A Whole New World (Aladdin’s Theme)