Hulk Vs. (2009)
Hulk Vs. is a two cartoon slug fest, featuring the Jade Giant. In Hulk Vs. Thor, Loki brings the Hulk to Asgard to kill his step-brother. And, kills Bruce Banner in the process. In Hulk Vs. Wolverine, the same people who created Wolverine kidnap the Hulk, to erase his memory and turn him into their deadliest weapon.
First off: cartoon or not, Hulk Vs. is not child safe. Especially in the Wolverine segment, there’s lots of gore. Secondly, since Hulk Vs. is effectively two unrelated cartoons (with the same voice cast), I’m going to treat it as such. A few things pertain to both films:
- The movies are set in the universe of Marvel Comics, not the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe – ie. the movies). The characters in the cartoon are faithful to the comics, and different from the movies.
- The animation is high quality, as is the voice acting. Some of the cinematography in the Wolverine segment is beautiful.
Hulk vs. Thor
In short, Loki has brought Bruce Banner to Asgard, home of the Norse gods. He plans to extract Banner from the Hulk — with the aid of Amora the Enchantress. By doing so, he plans to turn the Hulk into an unstoppable rage machine, capable of killing his stepbrother Thor. And, destroying Asgard in the process.
- Loki is a one-dimensional villain here. I’d forgotten just how much character development Tom Hiddleston’s version of the character has.
- The movie does a nice job of setting the scene. It explains that Odin protects Asgard by his vast power … except for one week out of the year, when he regenerates his power via the Odinsleep. During which time Asgard’s various enemies attack, and are repelled.
- One thing that they don’t point out is what makes the Hulk so dangerous. It’s well-known in the comics that “the madder Hulk gets, the stronger Hulk gets.” And he has no upper limit. Which is why he’s able to defeat Asgard’s army, and coming within a whisker of killing Thor.
- Poor Bruce Banner actually gets a happy moment … once he’s dead. In the afterlife, he’s married to his true love, Betty Ross, and they have a son. And he’s required to give that all up.
Hulk vs. Wolverine
- Hulk vs. Wolverine is actually more of a Wolverine story, guest-starring the Hulk. It does a good job of telling Wolverine’s back story, with the mysterious Weapon X group.
- Deadpool is funny here. Evil — this is before his heel-face turn — but funny.
HULK VS. WOLVERINE The Incredible Hulk has been tearing a line across the Canadian wilderness, leaving a swath of destruction in his wake. He has to be stopped, and thereas only one man up to the job. Heas the best at what he does, but what he does isnat very nice. Heas Wolverine, an elite agent of Canadaas top secret Department H, and heas been put on Hulkas trail with a single objective: stop the green goliatha]at all costs. Hulk and Wolverine are about to enter the fiercest battle of their lives.
HULK VS. THOR Itas gods versus monsters in this epic forty-five minute movie. For ages, Loki the trickster has sought a way to bring defeat to his accursed stepbrother, Thor. But for all the battles Thor has fought, in all the nine realms, only one creature has ever been able to match his strengthaa mortal beast of Midgard known as The Incredible Hulk. Now, with Odin the king of the gods deep in a regenerative sleep, and the forces protecting Asgard at their weakest, Loki is finally ready to spring his trap. In a classic battle that will test a heroas limits more than ever before, only the mighty Thor can hope to prevail.
Marvel Animated Features premieres two all new action-packed films together on one release – Hulk vs. Wolverine and Hulk vs.Thor. Hulk vs Wolverine: Alberta, Canada. The Incredible Hulk has been tearing a line across the Canadian countryside, leaving a swath of destruction in his wake. He has to be stopped, and there’s only one man up to the job. He’s the best there is at what he does, but what he does isn’t very nice. He’s Wolverine, an elite agent of Canada’s top secret Department H, and he’s been put on Hulk’s trail with a single objective: stop the green goliath…at all costs. Hulk and Wolverine are about to enter the fiercest battle of their lives.
Hulk vs. Thor: Asgard, realm of the gods. For ages, Loki the trickster has sought a way to bring defeat to his accursed stepbrother, Thor. But for all the battles Thor has fought, in all the nine realms, only one creature has ever been able to match his strength – a mortal beast of Midgard known as The Incredible Hulk. Now, with Odin, the almighty king of the gods, deep in a regenerative sleep, and the forces protecting Asgard at their weakest, Loki is finally ready to spring his trap. In an epic battle that will pit gods against monsters, that will test a hero’s limits more than ever before, only The Mighty Thor can hope to prevail.