The Joker Goes to School / He Meets his Match, the Grisly Ghoul – Batman season 1
The Joker Goes to School – March 1 1966
At Woodrow Roosevelt High School, a vending machine gives out money. Dick Grayson is there to witness it. it’s soon revealed that it’s part of a scheme by the Joker. Dick’s friend, Susie is “secretly” the Joker’s henchwoman — which will eventually break Dick Grayson’s heart. of course.
The Joker: [picks up phone] Hello, hello? Give me the sign.
Suzie: [on other line] How do you stop a dog from barking in July?
The Joker: Countersign: shoot him in June. Very good! [laughs]
He Meets his Match, the Grisly Ghoul – March 2 1966
A power failure prevents Batman and Robin from being electrocuted. Meanwhile, a recording Batman made confirms that cheerleader Susie is one of the Joker’s confederates. Joker’s actual scheme is to get an incriminating photo of the high school basketball team with answers to the tests. He hopes to have them ineligible for the game, with a large bet on their underdog rivals …. Disco Tech!
Robin: Holy Benedict Arnold, Susie! The chief cheerleader… a member of the Joker’s criminal gang! Is it possible, Batman?
Batman: Steady, Robin. Steady old chum.
Joker: [laughing] Have a sneeze on me, Batman! [Joker throws sneezing powder at Batman, which has no effect]
Batman: No use, Joker! I knew you’d employ your sneezing powder, so I took an Anti-Allergy Pill! Instead of a sneeze, I’ve caught you, cold!
Batman: [standing over an unconscious Joker] That’s what easy living gets you, kids. Stick to your books!
Cast of characters
- Adam West (The Outlaws is Coming) … Batman
- Burt Ward (Batman the Movie) … Robin
- Alan Napier (The Mole People, House of Horrors) … Alfred
- Neil Hamilton (Tarzan the Ape Man, What Price Hollywood) … Commissioner Gordon
- Stafford Repp … Chief O’Hara
- Madge Blake … Mrs. Cooper
- Cesar Romero (Happy Go Lovely, Lost Continent) … The Joker
- Donna Loren (Pajama Party) … Susie
- Kip King (Westworld) … Nick
- Owen Orr (The Boston Strangler) … Two Bits
- Glenn Allan … Herbie
- Bryan O’Byrne (Spaceballs) … Principal A.P. Schoolfield
- Tim O’Kelly … Pete
- Sydney Smith (No Time for Sergeants) … Mr. Vandergilt
- The name of the high school is a mashup of Presidents Wilson and Roosevelt.
- The Joker’s gang is called The Bad Pennies.” Although they are described as high school dropouts, Sue is clearly a current student.
- The Joker places a bet on the phone with Pete the Swede. A play on the famous Las Vegas gambler Jimmy the Greek.