Jesse James Meets Frankenstein’s Daughter (1966)
In Jesse James Meets Frankenstein’s Daughter, Maria Frankenstein puts a synthetic brain in the body of Jesse James’ sidekick. Killing a lot of innocent people along the way.
It shouldn’t be surprising, with a title like Jesse James Meets Frankenstein’s Daughter, that it’s a cheesy monster movie. It was originally released as a double feature with Billy the Kid versus Dracula, and some people ask which is worse. For my money, this is the better of the two films. That doesn’t mean it’s a good movie …. It’s not the worst Frankenstein movie I’ve ever seen. And yes, that’s damning with faint praise.
Cast of characters
- John Lupton (Airport 1975) … Jesse James. The handsome outlaw, who’s not reformed. With his friend Hank, he joins a gang to rob a stagecoach. Hanks’ shot, and needs medical care. Maybe the European doctors he’s been warned against?
- Narda Onyx … Dr. Maria Frankenstein. Granddaughter of Dr. Frankenstein. She’s experimenting with putting artificial brains into the bodies of kidnapped immigrant children. With no success, since they die upon revival.
- Cal Bolder (Star Trek: The Original Series – Friday’s Child) … Hank Tracy / Igor. Jesse’s best friend, who becomes the Frankenstein siblings’ final experiment. And, Maria order him to kill Jesse! How dare he spurn her?
- Estelita Rodriguez (Rio Bravo) … Juanita Lopez. The lovely young lady, leaving town with her parents after her brother has become the latest mysterious disappearance. She crosses paths with Jesse, so of course they fall in love. 😉
- Jim Davis (The Day Time Ended) … Marshal MacPhee
- Steven Geray (In a Lonely Place) … Dr. Rudolph Frankenstein. Maria’s spineless brother. He’s afraid of being caught after all of the deaths, and wants to flee. Maria won’t hear of it. She’s unaware that Rudolph has tampered with the earlier experiments. When she finds out, he pays for it …
- Roger Creed … Butch Curry. The leader of a local gang, that Jesse and Hank join, planning to rob a stagecoach. But …
- Rayford Barnes (Young Jesse James) … Lonny Curry. Butch’s brother, who betrays him and the rest of the gang to the sheriff. In exchange for becoming his deputy, and collecting the bounty for Jesse.
- William Fawcett (Batman and Robin 1949) … Jensen – the Pharmacist. Maria’s note tells him that the man bearing the note is Jesse James! Call the Sheriff!
- Nestor Paiva (Creature from the Black Lagoon) … Saloon Owner
- Rosa Turich … Nina Lopez
- Felipe Turich … Manuel Lopez
- Fred Stromsoe … Stacy
- Dan White (Unknown Island) … Pete Ketchum
- Page Slattery … Deputy Andy
- Mark Norton … Francisco Lopez
Editorial review of Jesse James Meets Frankenstein’s Daughter courtesy of Amazon.com
Legendary outlaw of the Old West joins a small gang and attempts to pull a stagecoach robbery, but when things go wrong, he finds himself on the run from Marshall MacPhee. With MacPhee on the hunt, Jessie hides out in a castle with a very bizarre resident, Baron Frankenstein’s granddaughter Maria. Maria, after killing just about everyone in the surrounding town, proceeds to transform Jesse’s slow-witted pal Hank into a bald zombie, which she lovingly names “Igor.” Watch what happens when the Old West meets age-old monster making in this action-packed thriller from 1966!