Godzilla Vs. The Sea Monster (1966) aka. Ebirah, Horror of the Deep
Synopsis of Godzilla Vs. The Sea Monster / Ebirah, Horror of the Deep
Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster. A young man named Yata is missing. Authorities believe he’s dead. However, his brother Ryota steals a yacht with two of his friends and a bank robber. First, they run afoul of a giant lobster, Ebirah. Then, they wash ashore on an island controlled by a terrorist organization. While trying to avoid capture, Ryota and the gang stumble across a sleeping Godzilla. Can they use him to defeat Ebirah? Can they free the enslaved natives? How does Mothra fit into this?
Cast of characters
- Akira Takarada (Gojira) as Yoshimura. The never-quite-admitting-to-it bank robber. However, he does have all the skills (breaking locks, avoiding guards, etc.) that come in very handy as the group tries to stay out of the hands of the Red Bamboo terrorist group.
- Toru Watanabe as Ryota Kane. Ryota is determined to rescue his missing brother. He is convinced that Yata is lost at sea. So, he pushes his friends to “borrow” Yoshimura’s yacht and find him.
- Toru Ibuki (Terror of Mechagodzilla) as Yata Kane. Ryota’s missing brother. He’s lost at sea. But the authorities believe him dead. But he’s actually been captured by the terrorist organization, Red Bamboo. Like many others, he’s used as their slave labor. Until he’s rescued …
- Hideo Sunazuka (Red Lion) as Nita. One of Ryota’s friends, part of the group.
- Chotaro Togin (Destroy All Monsters) as Ichino. Another of Ryota’s friends.
- Kumi Mizuno (Invasion of Astro-Monster) as Daiyo. The beautiful island girl that joins the group. She’s escaped from Red Bamboo, but she can’t leave the island. Because Ebirah will kill anyone who tries.
- Pair Bambi as the Shobijin, Mothra’s tiny twin priestesses. The twin priestesses recur throughout the movie, attempting to rouse Mothra. However, towards the end, they succeed!
- Jun Tazaki (Destroy All Monsters) as Red Bamboo Commander. The leader of the terrorist organization, Red Bamboo. He’s kidnapping people from Mothra’s island to use as slave labor on the island, to make hard water for atomic weapons. And he has a lot of military weapons to throw at Godzila.
- Godzilla (Godzilla Raids Again). The anti-hero monster, who’s been resting on Ebirah’s island after his last battle. And the human protagonists improvise a lightning rod to wake him up! So that while he’s attacking Ebirah, they can escape.
- Ebirah (Godzilla: Final Wars). The giant lobster, used by Red Bamboo as their unwitting guardian. However, it frankly doesn’t care. It simply eats anyone and anything that gets in the way. Then, the final fight between Ebirah and Godzilla is quite classic. Especially when Godzilla rips off its’ claw and beats Ebirah with it!
- Mothra (Rebirth of Mothra). Godzilla’s old frenemy, who awakens in time to fly our human protagonists away before the island expodes.
Editorial review of Godzilla Vs. The Sea Monster courtesy of Amazon.com
A young man gathers two friends together and sails into the South Pacific in search of his brother. En route, they encounter a fugitive who takes them on his escape. Caught in a severe storm, they arrive at Letchi Island where natives of Infant Island have been enslaved by the terrorist organization Red Bamboo. Red Bamboo runs a heavy water factory to process a juice, which holds off the monster Ebirah . The young men meet a beautiful but tough Daiyo, who has escaped her captors, and they wake up Godzilla(r) to put an end to the Red Bamboo.
When Ryota’s brother Yata disappears at sea, the intrepid youth and his friends join forces with a slightly trustworthy bank robber, steal a boat and go after him! Of course, there’s the little problem that Yata may be lost on a mysterious island where the evil terrorist organization Red Bamboo has enslaved natives to make heavy water for nefarious purposes. And that means dealing with the island’s monstrous, 164 feet tall guardian Ebirah® as well as Red Bamboo’s arsenal of super advanced weaponry.
On the plus side, help may be at hand in the form of a nubile island girl, two tiny fairies, their giant protector Mothra® and the big G himself, the mighty Godzilla®. Surviving the results of all that “assistance” may not be guaranteed, but Red Bamboo will never want to tangle with teenagers AND Godzilla® at the same time again! Take a South Seas cruise to non-stop mayhem and giant monster destruction with EBIRAHT- HORROR OF THE DEEP!