Jason and the Argonauts (1963) starring Todd Armstrong, Nancy Kovack
Jason and the Argonauts is the classic fantasy tale of the fearless sailor who must find the Golden Fleece before he can claim his throne. Fighting an army of skeletons, harpies, the hydra, and a bronze giant along the way.
Jason and the Argonauts is a personal favorite of the various Ray Harryhausen movies. Not only is the animation beautiful — but it serves the story, without distracting from it. It’s the classic story from Greek mythology …. With some additions and changes. But, that’s how mythology goes. The acting is fine, with characters that the audience comes to like, root for, and on occasion, mourn.
Fantastic special effects by Ray Harryhausen and exciting mythological adventure make this a film that is fun for everyone. It’s the story of Jason (Todd Armstrong), a fearless sailor and explorer, who returns to the kingdom of Thessaly after a 20-year voyage to make his rightful claim to the throne. But to do so, Jason must first find the magical Golden Fleece. He selects a crew and with the help of Hera, Queen of the Gods, sets sail in search of the Fleece. Jason and his crew must overcome incredible obstacles including a 100-foot bronze giant, the venomous Hydra – a huge creature with the heads of seven snakes, and a spectacular battle with an army of skeletons.
Cast of characters
- Todd Armstrong (Iron Horse) … Jason
- Nancy Kovack (Marooned) … Medea
- Gary Raymond (The Greatest Story Ever Told) … Acastus
- Laurence Naismith (A Night to Remember) … Argos
- Niall MacGinnis (Curse of the Demon) … Zeus
- Michael Gwynn (Village of the Damned) … Hermes / Priest
- Douglas Wilmer (The Golden Voyage of Sinbad) … Pelias
- Jack Gwillim (Clash of the Titans 1981) … King Aeetes
- Honor Blackman (Doctor Who: The Trial of a Time Lord) … Hera
- John Cairney (Cleopatra) … Hylas
- Patrick Troughton (Doctor Who: The Three Doctors) … Phineas
- Andrew Faulds (The Crawling Eye) … Phalerus
- Nigel Green (The Masque of the Red Death) … Hercules