The Purr-fect Crime / Better Luck Next Time – Batman season 1
The Purr-fect Crime – March 15 1966
Catwoman initiates a series of thefts that cause Commissioner Gordon to summon Batman and Robin. But the importance of the crimes go beyond the taking of the objects involved. The episode ends with Batman literally having to choose between the lady and the tiger. And he chooses wrongly!
Catwoman: [off screen] If you pick the right door, I’m yours, Batman. If you pick the wrong door, you’re mine. So which is it, Batman? The lady or the tiger?
Better Luck Next Time – March 16 1966
Batman evades the attacking tiger thanks to his utility belt. First, he scales the wall, rescues Robin, pursues Catwoman, and she seemingly falls to her death. All in a day’s work.
Batman: Don’t hold that cat so close to your face! Some of the radioactive spray may rub off on you.
Robin: Right! I should have thought of that myself.
Batman: Although the Bat-armor protected our car, those land mines blew our tires. Robin, turn on the automatic tire-repair device.
- Julie Newmar’s first appearance as Catwoman.
- Catwoman’s henchmen are named after pop culture cats; Leo the Lion and Felix the Cat.
- Julie Newmar designed and personally sewed her Catwoman jumpsuits. The famous gold “platter” necklace, seen in every appearance by Catwoman (including other actresses) has no character significance. it was a fashion statement.
- The Purr-fest Crime is the first episode in which Batman and Robin are seen buckling their Bat-belts before riding in the Batmobile. Batman gives a lecture to Robin on driver safety.
- ABC interrupted the original airing of this episode for a news bulletin. NASA astronauts Neil Armstrong and David Scott were having problems with the controls on the Gemini 8 spacecraft — a near-fatal situation. Thousands of viewer phone calls swamped the ABC switchboards …. Not out of concern for the astronauts, but to complain about the interruption of the “Batman” telecast.
- The tiger that comes out of the door at the end of the part one bit into an on-set cable and was electrocuted. The person in the Batman costume tangling with the tiger in the scene was the animal’s trainer.
- During the opening recap sequence, the narrator describes Batman and Robin falling through a trap door with the line “is this trip necessary?” This is a reference to the slogan “Is Your Trip Necessary?”, meant to discourage travel during World War II.
- Catwoman quotes a famous Laurel and Hardy line about a fine mess when she admonishes Leo.
- Since Catwoman returned in future episodes, she didn’t fall to her death. Meaning, she escaped with the treasure, escaped the Dynamic Duo, and technically won!
Cast of characters
- Adam West (The Outlaws is Coming) … Batman
- Burt Ward (Batman the Movie) … Robin
- Alan Napier (The Mole People, House of Horrors) … Alfred
- Neil Hamilton (Tarzan the Ape Man, What Price Hollywood) … Commissioner Gordon
- Stafford Repp … Chief O’Hara
- Madge Blake … Mrs. Cooper
- Julie Newmar (Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Li’l Abner) … The Catwoman
- Jock Mahoney (The Land Unknown, Punchy Cowpunchers) … Leo
- Harry Holcombe (Empire of the Ants) … Mr. Andrews
- Ralph Manza (Godzilla 1998) … Felix
- Pat Zurica (Patton) … Guard
- Tinker Bell … Tiger