The Vampire – a very interesting, different kind. of vampire movie. At first, the widowed doctor doesn’t realize what’s happened …
The Vampire (1957) starring John Beal, Coleen Gray
The Vampire begins with Dr. Campbell having another heart attack. He gives the central character, Dr. Beecher, the final result of his experiment before he dies — unknown pills. The audience sees that Dr. Beecher is a widowed small-town doctor, with a loving daughter, Betsy. After talking to the police about Campbell’s death, Dr. Beecher goes to his office. Where he’s suffering from a migraine, and asks his daughter to get his migraine pills from his coat pocket. Afterward, he’s not feeling well. He asks his patient, Marion Wilkins, to come back in the morning, and he lies down in his office. And the next day, Marion’s been found dead. From blood loss. And so the tragedy’s begun …
Cast of characters
- John Beal (Dark Shadows: The Vampire’s Curse) … Dr. Paul Beecher. The widowed father and doctor. He’s unknowingly turned into a vampire. At first, he’s unaware of it. Later, he fights against it — unsuccessfully. He eventually has himself killed, to save his beloved daughter. A well-done, sympathetic portrayal.
- Coleen Gray (Nightmare Alley, The Leech Woman) … Carol Butler. Dr. Beecher’s new receptionist. He’s told Buck that’s she’s fat, buck-toothed, with bifocals. She’s pretty much the opposite. A competent, compassionate person, as well.
- Kenneth Tobey (The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, The Thing from Another World) … Sheriff Buck Donnelly. Sheriff, romantic rival for Carol.
- Lydia Reed (High Society) … Betsy Beecher. Dr. Beecher’s sweet, kind daughter. She tries her best to take care of her widowed father. A highlight of the movie.
- Dabbs Greer (It! The Terror from Beyond Space) … Dr. Will Beaumont. Beecher’s old friend from school. He knows a little about the late Dr. Campbell’s research, and brings Henry to continue work on it.
- Herb Vigran … George Ryan, Police Sergeant
- Paul Brinegar … Willy Warner. Coroner.
- Ann Staunton (Philo Vance Returns) … Marion Wilkins. Dr. Beecher’s patient, with a heart condition. The morning after her cancelled appointment, she dies. But panics at the sight of Dr. Beecher, for some reason.
- James Griffith (The Amazing Transparent Man) … Henry Winston. Research assistant at the university. He’s taking over the late Dr. Campbell’s work.
- Wood Romoff … Dr. Matthew J. Campbell.