Rampage (2018) starring Dwayne Johnson, Naomie Harris, Jeffrey Dean Morgan
When a genetic experiment goes wrong, it unleashes super creatures that rampage Chicago. Scientist Davis races to secure an antidote to try to save the ape that was once his friend.
Originally, Rampage was a mindless video arcade game. It was fun, but not very deep. The same can be said for the movie. It’s enjoyable, with a good cast, but a lot of cliches. Having said that, it’s an enjoyable popcorn movie.
Cast of characters
- Dwayne Johnson as Davis Okoye, a former US Army Special Forces soldier as well as primatologist and head of an anti-poaching unit. He gets along better with animals than people.
- Naomie Harris as Dr. Kate Caldwell, a disgraced genetic engineer who teams up with Okoye. She’s indirectly responsible for the mutations. The evil corporation (is there any other kind in these movies?) took her research. She was trying to save her brother’s life. They used her CRISPR technology to make monsters. Then, being an evil corporation, they framed her for theft. Her brother died while she was in prison. She lies to Davis about the whole thing. Whoops! Frankly, her observations about Davis’ people skills are a highlight.
- Malin Åkerman as Claire Wyden, the CEO of Energyne responsible for the infection and mutation of George, Ralph, and Lizzie with the mutagenic serum for Project: Rampage. Evil corporate overlord. Ice queen. Towards the end, she shoots Davis … Just to point out that she means business. But hey! It didn’t hit any internal organs, so he’s perfectly okay! Seriously.
- Jake Lacy as Brett Wyden, Claire’s brother. Rich, spoiled, brat without an ounce of self-control.
- Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Harvey Russell, a government agent who works for the “Other Government Agency”. Frankly, his character is a bright spot in this movie. Originally an “asshole” according to Davis. But, after Davis saves his life, he reciprocates. One of the “good guys” even initially, although he and Davis are at odds about how to proceed.
Editorial review of Rampage courtesy of Amazon.com
Primatologist Davis (Dwayne Johnson) shares an unshakable bond with George, the extraordinarily intelligent, silverback gorilla who has been in his care since birth. When a greed-fueled corporation’s genetic experiment goes awry, George and other animals across the country are mutated into aggressive super creatures that rampage the city. In an adrenaline-filled ride, Davis tries to find an antidote to not only halt a global catastrophe, but to also save the fearsome creature that was once his friend.