The Carol Burnett Show – season 1, episode 2 – guest stars Sid Caesar and Liza Minelli, originally aired September 18, 1967
In the Carol Burnett Show – Sid Caesar and Liza Minelli, comedy legend Sid Caesar guests as a nervous, expectant father. Also, “V.I.P.” interviews Lucy Brains, and “Carol & Sis” finds Chris’ college interview complicated by sleeping pills.
- V.I.P. — where F. Lee Korman (Harvey Korman) interviews guest stars in their own homes, ambush-style. Here, he interview Lucy Brains — an expy of Luci Baines Johnson, the then-President LBJ’s daughter.
- Carol and Sis – a very funny installment, where Vicki’s going to be interviewed for college admission. But a sleeping pill gets in the way, and Carol’s falling asleep as interviewer Reta Shaw stops by. Then Reta takes one too!
- Expectant Father – Sid Caesar does a monologue as an expectant father, awaiting the birth of his first child. A sweet, funny, hilarious routine.
- The Debutante’s Ball, Written by Randy Newman, Performed by Liza Minnelli
- Carol’s Theme, Written by Joe Hamilton, Performed by Carol Burnett
- Just In Time, as part of a Time Medley. Written by Jule Styne, Betty Comden and Adolph Green. Performed by Carol Burnett and Liza Minnelli
- Modern-day viewers are surprised to see that it’s Carol Burnett, and not guest star Liza Minnelli, perform the song “Cabaret.” At the time this episode was filmed, “Cabaret” was a hit tune from the Broadway musical of the same name. Liza Minnelli didn’t perform the role until Bob Fosse’s 1972 film version.
- Question from the audience: Is Carol Burnett your real name? No, some other performer had my real name, so I had to change it. My real name is Ben Gazarra.