Batman & Robin – the worst of the Batman movies so far. Literally, a two-hour toy commercial. Although Arnold Schwarzenegger has a good time!
Batman & Robin (1997) starring George Clooney, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Chris O’Donnell, Uma Thurman
Batman & Robin is probably the worst Batman movie ever made (so far). As director Joel Schumaker allegedly said to the cast while filming: “Remember, we’re making a toy commercial.” That’s exactly how it feels. Now, having said that, if you watch this film, treating it as a spoof or parody, it’s actually enjoyable. Arnold Schwarzenegger delights in his barrage of ice puns. And, when the heroes are out of costume, dealing with the subplot of Alfred’s illness, it’s actually enjoyable.
Other than that — it was a toy commercial. A two-hour long toy commercial.
Horribly bad moments
- Bat-nipples on the bat suit? Enough said.
- The Bat credit card ?!?
- Bat ice skates.
- Sky surfing
Cast of characters
- Arnold Schwarzenegger (Maggie) … Mr. Freeze / Dr. Victor Fries
- George Clooney (ER) … Batman / Bruce Wayne
- Chris O’Donnell (The Three Musketeers 1993) … Robin / Dick Grayson
- Uma Thurman (Kill Bill) … Poison Ivy / Dr. Pamela Isley
- Alicia Silverstone (Clueless) … Batgirl / Barbara Wilson
- Michael Gough (Batman 1989, Horror of Dracula) … Alfred Pennyworth
- Pat Hingle (Muppets from Space) … Commissioner Gordon
- John Glover (Scrooged) … Doctor Jason Woodrue
- Elle Macpherson (Friends) … Julie Madison
- Vivica A. Fox (Independence Day) … Ms. B. Haven
- Vendela Kirsebom … Nora Fries
- Elizabeth Sanders (Batman Forever) … Gossip Gerty
- Jeep Swenson … Bane. In the comics, Batman’s mental and physical equal. Here, he’s no more than a muscle-bound goon.
The fourth outing in the popular movie franchise features yet another personnel change as George Clooney dons the mantle of the bat. Joel Schumacher directs for the second time as Batman (Clooney) and Robin (Chris O’Donnell) have to stop the vengeful Mr Freeze (Arnold Schwarzenegger) from taking over Gotham City by using his new ice weapon. To make matters worse, the venomous Poison Ivy (Uma Thurman) decides to join forces with Freeze, so making an almost undefeatable double-whammy of a team. Luckily for the caped crusader and his rebellious ward, they are able to team up with a tough and courageous new partner – Batgirl (Alicia Silverstone).