Marooned (1969) starring Gregory Peck, David Janssen, Richard Crenna, James Franciscus, Gene Hackman
Synopsis of Marooned
Marooned is a gripping, yet starkly realistic, portrayal of three astronauts on an extended special mission who find themselves unable to re-enter the Earth’s atmosphere. As the oxygen supply diminishes, the stranded astronauts must face the inevitability of death.
Review of Marooned
In short, Marooned in an excellent film, dealing with the effort to get three astronauts safely back. The drama cuts between the three men, and the people on the ground who have to deal with an impossible timeline as well as a hurricane. In many ways, it’s reminiscent of Apollo 13. Except that movie is based on a real incident, and all of the astronauts survive. The cast consists of great actors and actresses, all of whom turn in great performances. The ending is surprising, where help comes from a very unexpected source. I won’t say more and spoil the ending for those who haven’t seen it.
I highly recommend Marooned and rate it a rare 5 stars.
Cast of characters in Marooned
- Charles Keith (Gregory Peck, Twelve O’Clock High, To Kill a Mockingbird). chief of the manned space program. A pragmatic man, who tries to not let his emotions show. Even when he feels that there’s no way to save his three friends.
- Ted Dougherty (David Janssen, Cult of the Cobra, The Green Berets). Senior astronaut, who pushes for the unlikely rescue mission.
- Jim Pruett (Richard Crenna, The Real McCoys, First Blood). Crew commander of the doomed Ironman One. He has to keep the morale of the crew up, and do whatever he can to get them home. Whatever the cost.
- Clayton Stone (James Franciscus, Beneath the Planet of the Apes, Valley of the Gwangi). scientist/astronaut aboard Ironman One.
- Buzz Lloyd (Gene Hackman, Enemy of the State, The French Connection). The pilot, who blames himself for the danger the ship is in … And is afraid that the others blame his as well.
- Celia Pruett (Lee Grant, Divorce American Style, The Swarm). Jim Pruett’s worried wife.
- Teresa Stone (Nancy Kovack, Jason and the Argonauts, Diary of a Madman). Clayton’s loving wife.
- Betty Lloyd (Mariette Hartley, The Return of Count Yorga, Marnie). Buzz’s wife … whose conversation with him makes his status worse, not better.
Editorial review of Marooned courtesy of Amazon.com
They are trapped in a spaceship with no power. Outside there is no air and no heat. Earth spins 200miles below. Three astronauts face a desperate situation in this spellbinding science fiction cliffhanger. After completing a daring mission in space, the three-man spaceship Ironman One orbits Earth preparing for re-entry. But a retro-rocket misfires, and the crew commander Jim Pruett (Richard Crenna), scientist/astronaut Clayton Stone (James Franciscus) and pilot Buzz Lloyd (Academy Award(r) Winner Gene Hackman Best Actor in a Supporting Role, Unforgiven, 1992; and Best Actor in a Leading Role, The French Connection, 1971) are marooned in space. Back on Earth, Charles Keith (Academy Award(r) Winner Gregory Peck Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award, 1968; and Best Actor in a Leading Role, To Kill a Mocking Bird, 1962), chief of the manned space program, and senior astronaut Ted Dougherty (David Janssen) plan an incredible rescue while the whole world anxiously awaits.