My Wild Irish Rose (1947), starring Dennis Morgan, Arlene Dahl
If you have a drop of Irish blood, if you’ve ever worn green on St. Patrick’s Day, if you’re a simply a fan of musical bio-pics chockablock with nostalgic song and dance, sure and begorrah you’re in for a Technicolor treat. My Wild Irish Rose stars Golden Age of Hollywood tenor Dennis Morgan as turn-of-the-century tenor Chauncey Olcott, who brought When Irish Eyes Are Smiling, Mother Machree and more beloved airs to eager theater audiences.
Olcott’s rise from tugboat skipper to minstrel man to star and composer, his relationships with two women – Lillian Russell (Andrea King) and true love Rose Donovan (Arlene Dahl in her first credited screen role) – and an Oscar(r)-nominated* musical score made this tuneful tale a box-office hit.
Cast of Characters
- Chauncey Olcott (Dennis Morgan, Kitty Foyle). The star of the movie. My Wild Irish Rose is, after all, the biography of Chauncey, from childhood to adulthood.
- Rose Donovan (Arlene Dahl, Journey to the Center of the Earth 1959). Chauncey’s true love. But the course of true love never runs smooth …
- Lillian Russell (Andrea King, Red Planet Mars). The “other woman” in the romantic triangle.
- John Donovan (Alan Hale, The Inspector General).
- Nick Popolis (George Tobias, The Judge Steps Out).
- Hopper (Ben Blue, Panama Hattie)
- William “Duke” Muldoon (George O’Brien, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon)
- William J. Scanlan (William Frawley, I Love Lucy)
Songs in My Wild Irish Rose
- Hush-a-Bye, Wee Rose of Killarney
- The Natchez and the Robert E. Lee
- Miss Lindy Lou
- There’s Room in My Heart for Them All
- My Wild Irish Rose (1899) Written by Chauncey Olcott
- Come Down, Ma Evenin’ Star
- My Nellie’s Blue Eyes
- Mother Machree
- Dear Old Donegal
- When Irish Eyes Are Smiling
- You Tell Me Your Dream, I’ll Tell You Mine
- Wait Till the Sun Shines, Nellie
- Will You Love Me in December as You Do in May?
- By the Light of the Silvery Moon
- Minstrel Days Music
- Polly Wolly Doodle
- The Ride of the Valkyries
- Old Black Joe
- (I Wish I Was in) Dixie’s Land (1860) Music by Daniel Decatur Emmett
- The Irish Washerwoman
- Let Me Dream Some More Music
- In the Evening by the Moonlight
- How Many Miles to Dublin Town?
- One Little, Sweet Little Girl
- A Little Bit of Heaven
- I Love the Name of Mary
- Sweet Inniscarra (1897)
- ‘Twas Only an Irishman’s Dream
- Sing an Irish Song
- Show Me the Way to the Kerry Fair
- The Mirror Song