The Amazing Colossal Man (1957) starring Glenn Langan, Cathy Downs, by Bert I. Gordon
After an accident at a nuclear test site, a man not only survives a ground zero, he begins growing uncontrollably — the amazing colossal man. And then his mind is beginning to snap. All the while, his heart isn’t growing as fast as the rest of his body, so he only has a few days left …
- They actually spend some time in flashbacks, establishing the colonel’s character, and his relationship with Carol. Giving the audience a reason to care about him.
- The slow progression of Colonel Manning’s mental state is very well done.
- Carol’s character, as the fiancee who won’t give up on him, is endearing.
- The giant’s rampage through some of Las Vegas’ landmarks (at the time) is nice.
- The idea of getting the gigantic Colonel Manning to shrink is just silly. Although the shrunken elephant is adorable.
- The idea of a gigantic man being able to hide is fairly ridiculous.
- The special effects are … bad. Not just cheaply done, but bad.
Product Description of The Amazing Colossal Man
SYNOPSIS: During the test of a new weapon, a plutonium bomb, a plane crashes in the test area. Colonel Glen Manning fearing that someone may still be alive runs to the plane, but before he gets to the pilot, the bomb explodes and burns him over 90% of his body. He is then brought to the base hospital, but is not expected to survive the night. The next morning, Manning not only is still alive, but the burned tissue is completely healed. When his fiancée Carol Forrest arrives to visit she finds out that he has been moved as well as the physicians that have been working on him, Dr. Paul Coulter and Major Eric Lindstrom, M.D..
Through some checking on her own, Carol soon finds out where they are keeping Glen and is horrified to find out that the radiation has affected his cells and caused him to grow uncontrollably. The doctors search find a cure, but before they can administer it to him, he goes mad, escapes and begins terrorizing Las Vegas. They they corner him, but after they inject him with the formula to stop his growth, Manning picks up the needle and spears Major Lindstrom, killing him instantly. He then picks up Carol and makes off with her taking to Hoover Dam. …
Cast of characters
- Glenn Langan (The Return of Doctor X) … Lt. Col. Glenn Manning
- Cathy Downs (The Dark Corner, The Phantom from 10,000 Leagues) … Carol Forrest
- William Hudson (Attack of the 50 Foot Woman) … Dr. Paul Linstrom
- Larry Thor … Maj. Eric Coulter, MD
- James Seay (Killers From Space) … Col. Hallock
- Frank Jenks (Blondie’s Hero) … Truck Driver
- Russ Bender (The Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow)… Richard Kingman
- Hank Patterson (Attack of the Puppet People, Tarantula, Green Acres) … Henry
- Jimmy Cross (The Red Skelton Hour) … Sergeant at Reception Desk
- June Jocelyn (The Ten Commandments, The Spider) … Nurse Wilson
- Stanley Lachman … Lt. Cline
- Harry Raybould … MP at Main Gate
- Jean Moorhead … Woman in Bathtub
- Scott Peters (Attack of the Puppet People) … Sgt. Lee Carter
- Myron Cook … Capt. Thomas
- Michael Harris … Police Lt. Keller
- Bill Cassady … Lt. Peterson
- Dick Nelson … Sgt. Hansen (as Richard Nelson)
- Edmund Cobb … Dr. McDermott (as Ed Cobb)
- Paul Hahn (The Angry Red Planet) … Attendant
- Diana Darrin (The Incredible Shrinking Man) … Hospital Receptionist
- Lyn Osborn … Sgt. Taylor
- Jack Kosslyn … Lieutenant in Briefing Room
- William Hughes … Bombsite Control Officer
- Keith Hetherington … TV Anchorman