Cult of the Cobra (1955) starring Richard Long, Marshall Thompson, Faith Domergue, David Janssen, William Reynolds, Jack Kelly
Reviewed by: The Masked Reviewer
Synopsis of Cult of the Cobra
Cult of the Cobra begins with six American officers witnessing the secret ritual of Lamians. These are serpent worshipers – women who change into serpents, in a foreign country. When the snake cult discovers the soldiers, the High Lamian Priestess vows that “the Cobra Goddess will avenge herself”. Back in the United States, a mysterious woman enters into the life of each service man. With disastrous results. Accidents begin to happen, and before each death the shadow of a cobra is seen.
It’s the end of World War II, and six American Air Forces officers are shopping for souvenirs to bring home. When one of them takes a picture of a snake charmer, Paul (Richard Long) remembers hearing about a cult that worships cobras, and even believes people can turn into snakes. The snake charmer tells them that for a price, he could show them the magic the Lamians uses.
He guides them to the secret meeting, and warns them that if they are caught they will be marked for death. They are watching a ceremonial dance when a drunk Nick (James Dobson) takes a photograph of their dance. The high priest calls for their death. And so, the cultists hunt them down. After some time they regroup find a woman standing over Nick, when she quickly vanishes. Nick has been bitten by a deadly snake. The Lamians will have their revenge, on all of the intruders.
The cast of Cult of the Cobra
- Paul Abel (Richard Long, The Stranger, House on Haunted Hill) : A suspicious soldier, always looking over his shoulder for cult members.
- Cpl. Nick Hommel (James Dobson, ) : The first man targeted by the Lamians.
- Tom Markel (Marshall Thompson, It! The Terror from Beyond Space) : A kind soldier, that messed with the wrong cult.
- Lisa Moya (Faith Domergue, This Island Earth, It Came from Beneath the Sea) : Tom’s new girlfriend, who has her fair share of secrets. She is a mystery to everyone, and a real joy to watch when she is on screen. She is by far the most interesting character in the whole film.
- Rico Nardi (David Janssen, The Green Berets, Moon of the Wolf) : The man that refused to believe in the Lamians power.
- Pete Norton (William Reynolds, All That Heaven Allows, The Land Unknown) : A soldier that has been cursed.
- Carl Turner (Jack Kelly, Forbidden Planet) : A soldier that has been cursed.
Cult of the Cobra is a far better movie than I expected. The person to snake transformations, are handled with skill, and the special effects are well done. Overall Cult of the Cobra is an entertaining movie.
I rate this film 3/5
Trivia for Cult of the Cobra
- Most of the film’s actors later went on to star in more than one, and in some cases several, of their own network TV series, such as Jack Kelly in Kings’ Row, Maverick, and Sale of the Century; Richard Long in Bourbon Street Beat, The Big Valley, and Nanny and the Professor; Marshall Thompson in Angel and Daktari; William Reynolds in The Islanders, The Gallant Men, and The FBI; and David Janssen in Richard Diamond, Private Detective, O’Hara, U.S. Treasury, The Fugitive, and Harry O.
- The snake cult leader is played by Edward Platt (Get Smart)