Man Made Monster (1941), starring Lionel Atwill, Lon Chaney Jr.
In Man Made Monster, a mad scientist transforms a carnival performer into a murderous monster.
Cast of characters
- Lon Chaney, Jr. (The Wolf Man) as Dynamo Dan McCormick. First, he’ss the only survivor of a bus accident, where everyone else is electrocuted. Dan is seemingly immune. He’s a sideshow attraction as someone immune to electricity. He’s taken in by the kindly Dr. Lawrence. And becomes the obsession of the not-so-kindly Dr. Rigas …
- Anne Nagel (Never Give a Sucker an Even Break, The Invisible Woman) as June Lawrence. Next comes Dr. Lawrence’s daughter, who’s sympathetic to Dynamo Dan. She’s clearly not romantically interested in him, however.
- Frank Albertson (Room Service) as Mark Adams. After her is an intrepid reporter, looking for a story. He falls for June, and doesn’t trust Dr. Rigas. Good instinct, there.
- Samuel S. Hinds (Buck Privates, The Raven 1935) as Dr. John Lawrence. The kindly scientist, who invites Dynamo Dan to visit his laboratory for testing. He’s simply trying to see how Dan survived the shock. He’s eventually murdered for his efforts, via Dr. Rigas.
- Lionel Atwill (Son of Frankenstein) as Dr. Paul Rigas. Last but not least is the mad scientist, Dr. Rigas. He has a zany theory about electricity being the source of life. So, he charges Dynamo Dan with increasing doses of electricity. Eventually turning him into a mind-controlled puppet, and murderer.
Editorial review of Man Made Monster
Man Made Monster stars Lon Chaney Jr. as a carnival performer who transforms into a murderous monster after a terrible accident. On a dark and stormy night, a bus skids into a high-tension wire electrocuting all passengers but one: “Dynamo” Dan McCormick (Chaney Jr.), who survives because he has built up immunity to electricity through his carnival performances. Dan is now the perfect specimen for the evil experiments of mad scientist Dr. Rigas (Lionel Atwill), who is working to create a race of electrically controlled men to do his bidding. The innocent Dan agrees to let Dr. Rigas study him but soon turns into a voltage addict manipulated by the doctor’s commands. Before long, Dan becomes a monster whose fiery touch can, and does, kill. His powerful currents send him on a rampage through the countryside and lead to an edge-of-your-seat climax!