Damnation Alley (1977) starring George Peppard, Jan-Michael Vincent
Synopsis of Damnation Alley
Damnation Alley – In a post-apocalyptic world, a group of survivors travel and find other settlements in huge custom designed all-terrain vehicles.
Review of Damnation Alley
In Damnation Alley, George Peppard and Jan-Michael Vincent go on a road trip. A post-apocalyptic road trip. After nuclear war has knocked the Earth of its axis, a road trip. To find survivors, and try to make it to Albany, New York, the only source of a radio transmission afterward. A road trip with:
- Giant scorpions
- Killer cockroaches
- Insane “mountain men”.
- Really bad weather – including flooding that turns over the vehicle, a sandstorm that kills multiple people.
Damnation Alley is a cult classic, due to no small part to the special vehicle that they take their road trip it. In a real sense, it’s the star of the film. Although the various actors have done excellent performances elsewhere, the performances here are fairly wooden.
Cast of characters in Damnation Alley
- 1st Lt. Jake Tanner (Jan-Michael Vincent, Airwolf). Air Force veteran, who fired the retaliatory strike with Denton. Now, simply trying to survive.
- Major Eugene “Sam” Denton (George Peppard, Blue Max, A-Team). A “by the book” military man, in charge of the expedition.
- Janice (Dominique Sanda, The Conformist). A young lady, rescued by them who joins the group. She had been living in an abandoned casino – and had thought that she was the last survivor.
- Tom Keegan (Paul Winfield, The Terminator, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan). Former airman, an aspiring artist, and Tanner’s friend. He has a “close encounter” with cockroaches. His friendship with Tanner is one of the most relatable parts of the movie.
- Billy (Jackie Earle Haley, Watchmen). A teenage boy who’s been living on his own, since the death of his father. A likable young man, who throws a mean rock.
- Lieutenant Tom Perry (Kip Niven, Airport 1975). Denton’s right-hand man, a by-the-book military type. He sadly dies relatively early in the sandstorm.
Updated February 10, 2022