A Patch of Blue (1965) starring Sidney Poitier, Elizabeth Hartman, Shelley Winters, Ivan Dixon
Synopsis of A Patch of Blue
A Patch of Blue – A black man’s burgeoning love affair with a blind white girl is complicated by her racist, controlling mother.
Selina D’Arcy: I know everything I need to know about you. I love you. [touching Gordon’s face] I know you’re good, and kind. I know you’re colored and I…
Gordon Ralfe: What’s that?
Selina D’Arcy: …And I think you’re beautiful!
Gordon Ralfe: [smiling] Beautiful? Most people would say the opposite.
Selina D’Arcy: Well that’s because they don’t know you.
In short, A Patch of Blue is a wonderful, sweet, touching, bittersweet film. It’s incredibly well-acted, well done, with a sad ending. And ending that’s also sweet, and hopeful. I highly recommend it.
Editorial review of A Patch of Blue courtesy of Amazon.com
One of the first studio films to deal with interracial romance (or even the possibility of it), A Patch of Blue was a huge hit upon its release, appealing to those looking for both social protest and a smart date movie. Sidney Poitier plays Gordon, a compassionate stranger who befriends a blind white girl named Selina (Elizabeth Hartman). Selina, the next thing to a shut-in, can only judge people by their voices, and Gordon’s is unusually patient, kind. Troubles ensue when Selina’s abusive mother (Shelley Winters in her second Oscar-winning performance) happens upon the pair during one of their park rendezvous.
Ivan Dixon plays Poitier’s militant brother, and veteran Wallace Ford appears as Selina’s kindly lush of a grandfather. Jerry Goldsmith earned an Oscar nomination for his lilting piano theme, surely one of the simplest, most effective pieces of music to grace a Hollywood film. –Glenn Lovell
- Sidney Poitier (Band of Angels) … Gordon Ralfe
- Shelley Winters (The Poseidon Adventure) … Rose-Ann D’Arcey
- Elizabeth Hartman (The Secret of NIMH) … Selina D’Arcey
- Wallace Ford (The Mummy’s Hand) … Ole Pa
- Ivan Dixon (Hogan’s Heroes) … Mark Ralfe
- Elisabeth Fraser (The Man Who Came to Dinner) … Sadie
- John Qualen (Blondie on a Budget) … Mr. Faber
- Kelly Flynn … Yanek Faber
- Debi Storm … Selina, Age 5
- Renata Vanni … Mrs. Favaloro
- Saverio LoMedico … Mr. Favaloro