The Million Dollar Duck (1971) starring Dean Jones, Sandy Duncan, Joe Flynn
In The Million Dollar Duck, a lab worker (Dean Jones) takes home a laboratory animal (Charlie the duck) to prevent it from being destroyed, as a pet for his son. However, the duck’s exposure to radiation has mutated it. And it now literally lays golden eggs when the family dog barks. At first, the scientist, this ditzy wife (Sandy Duncan) think this is a Godsend. Until they begin to get greedy, and their neighbor (Joe Flynn) begins to get suspicious.
Review of The Million Dollar Duck
I have fond memories of watching The Million Dollar Duck many years ago when it first came out. It’s not high comedy, and it doesn’t try to be. The Million Dollar Duck is simply a children’s movie. A movie with a simple message about family being more important than money and things. Dog, duck, gold nuggets, heroic ending with the Dad rescuing his son. What more can you ask for in a children’s movie?
The Million Dollar Duck is enjoyable fluff and doesn’t pretend to be anything more than that. Some people are offended by Sandy Duncan’s portrayal of the ditzy wife. But if so, they also need to be offended by Gracie Allen, Christie from Three’s Company, and every other “ditzy” female character ever portrayed.
- Dean Jones (Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo) … Professor Albert Dooley
- Sandy Duncan (The Cat from Outer Space) … Katie Dooley
- Joe Flynn (McHale’s Army) … Finley Hooper
- Tony Roberts … Fred Hines
- James Gregory (The Love God?) … Rutledge
- Lee Montgomery (Burnt Offerings) … Jimmy Dooley
- Jack Kruschen … Doctor Gottlieb
- Virginia Vincent … Eunice Hooper
- Jack Bender … Arvin Wadlow
- Billy Bowles … Orlo Wadlow
- Sammy Jackson … Frisby
- Arthur Hunnicutt … Mr. Purdham
- Frank Wilcox … Bank Manager
- Bryan O’Byrne … Bank Teller
- Ted Jordan … Mr. Forbes
- Bing Russell … Mr. Smith
- Peter Renaday … Mr. Beckert
- Frank Cady … Assayer
- George O’Hanlon … Parking Attendant
- Jonathan Daly … Carter – Purchasing Agent
- Hal Smith (The Andy Griffith Show, Adventures in Odyssey) … Courthouse Guard
- Edward Andrews … Morgan
Product Description of The Million Dollar Duck
Bring home surefire Disney fun starring classic comedians Dean Jones, Sandy Duncan, and Joe Flynn — now on Disney DVD! Research professor Albert Dooley (Jones) is stuck with past-due bills and one downy, dense lab duck. But an ordinary bird turns extraordinary when he is accidentally zapped with radiation and casually starts laying the proverbial “golden eggs.” Cashing in on newfound riches becomes a side-splitting scramble as the secret gets out and friends, neighbors, and government T-men mount an all-out quack attack to capture the rare bird. It’s heartwarming hilarity that will keep the whole family in stitches! The studio held open auditions for the duck role, with Webfoot Waddle winning the part. Runners-up Carlos and Jennifer got to be stand-ins. The ducks were given the full Hollywood treatment, including their own drinking pails, lettuce, and chicken scratch, plus evenings and weekends free to rest floating around the Disney Studio pond.