Blondie’s Hero (1950) starring Penny Singleton, Arthur Lake
In Blondie’s Hero, Dagwood joins the army reserve. When Blondie goes to visit him she discovers that her husband is causing all kinds of ruckus. In the meanwhile, a gang of crooks are trying to sell the Bumstead’s house while they’re gone!
- Blondie accidentally stumbles onto the firing range, while chasing Daisy. And Dagwood accidentally shoots a feather off her hat!
- An extended comedy scene, where Dagwood decides to show off for Blondie. By driving a tank! Which he has no idea how to steer! And they’re about to crash into a building full of explosives …. When they run out of gas!
- Back at home, the Bumstead’s have to prove to the new “owners” that they’re the legitimate owners. By having the dogs fetch all 4 of the Bumstead’s slippers from upstairs.
- After Blondie lays a trap for the crooks, Dagwood mops up the floor with them. A funny fight scene.
- At the conclusion, Dagwood gets his revenge on the grocer who kicked Daisy the week before. And, running into Sgt. Gateson, he shows how fit he is …. And accidentally drops his pants!
- Penny Singleton … Blondie. Loving wife and mother, who follows Dagwood to the Army Reserve camp.
- Arthur Lake … Dagwood. Loving husband and father, who accidentally signs up for the Army Reserve.
- Larry Simms … Alexander. The Bumstead’s son, and Alvin’s pal.
- Marjorie Ann Mutchie … Cookie. Their daughter.
- Daisy … Daisy. The family dog. Who nearly gets Blondie shot, when she chases a black cat onto the firing range.
- William Frawley (I Love Lucy) … Marty Greer. The leader of the group of criminals that put the Bumstead home up for sale. Without their knowledge!
- Danny Mummert … Alvin Fuddle. The Bumstead’s neighbor, who stumbles upon the crooks trying to steal the Bumstead’s house.
- Joe Sawyer (Black Legion) … Sgt. Gateson. Dagwood’s suffering sergeant.
- Teddy Infuhr … Danny Gateson. The sergeant’s young son – “corporal”.
- Alyn Lockwood … Mary Reynolds. The secretary from Dagwood’s office. She tags along with Blondie to the army reserve. And nearly has a romance while there.
- Iris Adrian (Lovely to Look At) … Mae.
- Frank Jenks … Tim Saunders.
- The third of three Blondie movies to guest star William Frawley.
- The twenty-seventh of twenty-eight Blondie movies.
- The Army recruiter calls Dagwood a young man though he was 45 years old.