Aladdin and the King of Thieves (1996), starring Gilbert Gottfried, Jerry Orbach, Scott Weinger, Linda Larkin, John Rhys-Davies
Review of Aladdin and the King of Thieves
I truly enjoyed the original Aladdin movie by Walt Disney, and I was terribly disappointed by it’s first sequel, The Return of Jafar. I’m glad to say that I truly enjoyed Aladdin and the King of Thieves. It’s as good, if not better, than the original film. Let me tell you why.
Better story in Aladdin and the King of Thieves
The basic story has Aladdin hear that his long-missing father is still alive, help prisoner by the forty thieves. Even though he’s preparing for his marriage to Princess Jasmine, she encourages him to find and rescue his father. He does so, only to find out that his father Cassim is, indeed, the King of Thieves – leader of the forty. He was nothing but a street rat — a line that strikes home with Aladdin. Cassim was determined to not return home until he was a success. By that time, his wife was dead, and his son, Aladdin, was missing.
It’s a touching story, of a father searching for his son, and a son likewise searching. Unless the greed of thieves undoes things …
The voice acting is first-rate. Yes, Robin Williams returns as the Genie, but all of the acting is good. The art is also good again, and there’s a very different villain for Aladdin to fight. A villain who frankly has him outclassed, making for nail-biting conflict.
Cast of Characters in Aladdin and the King of Thieves
- Aladdin (Scott Weinger, Aladdin). Finally getting married at the beginning of the movie, until the Forty Thieves interrupt the ceremony. A young man who has been missing his father his entire life. And finds him, and nearly loses him again after a betrayal.
- Cassim (John Rhys-Davies, Lord of the Rings, Raider of the Lost Ark). Aladdin’s long-lost father, a prisoner of the forty thieves. Actually, the leader of the forty thieves, who has to decide between his son and a fortune.
- Sa’luk (Jerry Orbach, Beauty and the Beast, Law and Order). Cassim’s second in command, who wants to command the Forty Thieves. He loses a duel to Aladdin, and falls into the sea. He survives the shark-infested waters, punching out a shark :). And continues to be a thorn in the side of Aladdin and Cassim.
- Jasmine (Linda Larkin, Aladdin). Princess Jasmine finally gets to marry Aladdin. It should be said that she helps repel the attack of the Forty Thieves. Not the “helpless princess” type. She also supports Aladdin in his desire to find his father, rescue him, and invite him to the wedding.
- Genie (Robin Williams, Mrs. Doubtfire, Mork and Mindy). The zany magical friend is back and as manic as ever.
- Iago (Gilbert Gottfried, Aladdin). The caustic parrot who actually becomes more of a three-dimensional character here.
Songs in Aladdin and the King of Thieves
- There’s a Party Here in Agrabah
- Out of Thin Air
- Welcome To The Forty Thieves
- Father and Son
- Are You In or Out?