Man in a Hurry – The Andy Griffith Show season 3
Man in a Hurry is one of the best episodes of the entire Andy Griffith Show series. A too-busy businessman’s car breaks down in Mayberry, and he gets a taste of life in the slow lane.
In Man in a Hurry, businessman Malcolm Tucker (Robert Emhardt) grows impatient when he tries to get his broken-down car fixed on Sunday. But he discovers that Wally the mechanic doesn’t work on Sundays. And he’s forced, little by little, to enjoy life in the slow lane.
- Talking to Sheriff Taylor at church.
- Wally diagnoses the issue by sound. But, he won’t work on it until Monday morning.
- Goober could do it, but he’s off fishing.
- Trying to steal Gomer’s truck
- “The Church in the Wildwood“.
- Snapping at Barney – Do it! Take a nap! Go to Thelma Lou’s for TV! Just do it!
- New spark plugs – $1.15 … each! Gomer doesn’t want to of overcharge!
- Gomer: Goober says, hey, Andy. Andy: Hey to Goober.
Sheriff Andy Taylor (Andy Griffith): The station just barely is open. Wally, the owner, he don’t even show up on Sundays.
Malcolm Tucker: Well, if it’s open, there’ll be someone there.
Sheriff Andy Taylor (Andy Griffith): All depends on how you look at it. Gomer Pyle’s in charge.
Malcolm Tucker: Good, He’ll fix it.
Sheriff Andy Taylor (Andy Griffith): I wouldn’t count on it.
Barney Fife (Don Knotts): You know what I think I’m gonna do?
Sheriff Andy Taylor (Andy Griffith): What?
Barney Fife (Don Knotts): I’m gonna go home, have me a little nap, then go over to Thelma Lou’s and watch a little TV… Yeah, I believe that’s what I’ll do. Go home, have a nap, then over to Thelma Lou’s for TV… Yep, that’s the plan, go home, little nap…
Malcolm Tucker: For the love of Mike, do it! Do it! JUST DO IT!
Barney Fife (Don Knotts): What’s the hurry?
Cast of characters
- Andy Griffith (A Face in the Crowd, Matlock) … Andy Taylor
- Ron Howard (The Music Man) … Opie Taylor
- Don Knotts (The Incredible Mr. Limpet) … Barney Fife
- Frances Bavier (The Stooge, The Day the Earth Stood Still) … Aunt Bee Taylor
- William Keene … Reverend Hobart M. Tucker
- Norman Leavitt (Off Limits) … Wally
- Jim Nabors (Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C.) … Gomer Pyle
- Robert Emhardt (3:10 to Yuma 1957) … Malcolm Tucker
- The character of Gomer Pyle was created specially for this episode. He was modeled after a real life incompetent gas station attendant the writer dealt with one time when he had car trouble. All the attendant could think to do was put more gas in the tank.
- A rare episode that we hear Barney sing “The Church in the Wildwood” in perfect harmony with Andy on the porch. In several other episodes, Barney is known for singing off key (mainly when performing in public). Barney had already harmonized with Andy to tease Ben Weaver in ‘The Merchant of Mayberry‘.
- In the epilogue Andy and Barney are quietly singing “Go Tell Aunt Rhody” on the porch. This song will show up again in season 7, “Otis, the Deputy“.